Chapter 4

A few weeks had passed and I was getting used to the idea of college. It was quite different from high school, I admit, but in a good way. The only thing I want to change is the distance between my dad and I. I miss him terribly, but lucky for me, we have fall-break in a week. I'm taking a flight home to see him, which reminds me, I need to book a ticket tonight.

I make my way towards my dorm after my classes. Dimitri had given me the notes back after that day, and we haven't really talked since. Not that I'm complaining. That guy is freakin' intimidating, but I must admit he has the looks. Not that it matters anyway.

I swing the door open to see Emily and a guy sitting on her bed. When she sees me, she says, "Hi Ruby, come on in. This is my brother Jamie. We're were just planning our break."

"Hi Jamie, nice to meet you," I politely say.

"Nice to meet you too."

I go over to my side of the room, as they kept on discussing.

*****

It's been a couple of hours since Jamie left, and I decide to buy my ticket home now. I may just as well get it done with.

I open my laptop and search for the flight routes.

"Crap, crap, crap!"

Emily looks over at me shocked.

"What's wrong?" She asks me.

"I have to go home for the break, but there aren't any tickets available until Tuesday. I'm gonna miss half of the days, that I was supposed to spend with my dad. I can't drive, because I don't have a car, and dad's working during the day. What do I do?" I tell her panicked. I've been looking forward to this for so long now. Ugh, this sucks!

"Slow down, slow down. Let me think for a minute... Okay, so what if you book the flight for Tuesday. Then from Saturday to Monday, you come on the trip with me, my brother and some of his friends?"

"I don't know..."

"Oh, come on. You said, he was going to work during the day, so it's only the nights you're gonna miss him for. What do you say? We're supposed to go camping in the wild with tents, fire pits, s' mores... You name it. And it's only an hour away, so you can always leave if something changes," she explains.

"Ummm... sure?"

"Okay?" She asks surprised.

"Okay," I answer.

Emily squeals and texts her brother the news. I should probably text my dad about the news. I quickly send him a text and he says it's all fine, as long as I'm having fun. I really miss him.

"Wait, I don't have a tent or a sleeping bag," I say.

"Don't worry. You and I can share a tent and a sleeping bag. I have one of those double bags for two persons," she assures me. I'm glad her and I have become good friends.

*****

I've made all my work beforehand, so I don't have to stress about it on my break. Emily and I are now waiting on her brother, Jamie, and his friends to come pick us up. I'm getting kinda excited. I've never done anything like this before.  

5 minutes later they arrive in a minivan. Jamie is the chauffeur of the van. Inside is 3 other boys sitting. One with blonde hair, one with brown hair, and one with dark brown hair. It looked kinda familiar. I don't know though, as his head was turned in the other direction.

Emily starts to introduce me to people, "The blonde is Harry, the brown hair is Oliver, and the last one is Dimitri."

My head snaps up and meet her eyes, as she says his name. What the hell is he doing here?

"But don't bother wasting your energy on him. He doesn't like to talk to other people. Hell, he's never even said a word to me, and he's been friends with my brother for a year now," she whispers.

I only nod. I turn around to the van again and figure I was being rude, so I decide to introduce myself to the boys, "Hi, I'm Ruby. Nice to meet you all."

Dimitri's head turns around to look at me. Our eyes lock for a few seconds before he turns his head back to starring in the other direction. Great, he seems happy to see me. Note the sarcasm.

Emily and I take a seat in the van and then we were off.