Camping

Hey everyone! Thank you all for reading and commenting on this! I hope you guys enjoy!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Camping, hiking, fishing, swimming. These were things that Maya never did growing up. She never had a father to take her, first of all. And secondly, she grew up in the City. Where things like that were uncommon to do on a weekend basis.

That's why when Josh had suggested a camping trip into the woods with his family, Maya was a little hesitant on saying yes. The only reason she did was because of Riley going.

"How... Much... Longer." Maya panted as she held the stitch in his side. She turned towards Riley, who didnt look any better than she did.

"I think... We're almost... There." Riley panted back as she looked up at Josh, Shawn and Cory, who were all three drinking from their water bottles and talking quietly like this was an every day thing.

"We're almost to the top girls! Just another half mile to go." Shawn told them. Maya and Riley looked at each other and groaned as Cory and Shawn started walking again. Riley started after them, but Josh stayed behind and waited as Maya ran her hands through her hair.

She put both hands on her sides and took a moment to catch her breath. Josh walked towards her and nudged her shoulder with his. She looked up at him with a scowl, her face dripping sweat.

"I love you." He told her with a grin. Maya rolled her eyes.

"Shut up." She told him as she started to walk away to join the others. Josh chuckled and watched her retreating form before he jogged to catch up with her and walk beside her for the rest of the way.

Fifteen minutes later, they were finally at the top of the mountain where they would be setting camp up for the night. Riley was laying on her back and resting with her eyes close when Maya plopped down beside her, exhausted.

"I cant-no more." Maya gasped out. She felt like her insides were going to jump out from her throat. Riley nodded her head.

"Me, too." She stated.

Josh looked over and smiled at his girlfriend and his niece. Even in a messy hair, sweat glistening, exhausted state. Maya was still the most beautiful girl he ever laid eyes on.

Cory, Shawn and Josh started setting up their tents. One for the guys and one for the girls. Once Riley and Maya had caught their breath, they started walking around and gathering sticks to build a fire.

As they were heading over towards the edge of the woods, Riley let out a scream and Maya froze, her face losing all color.

"What is it?" Cory asked as he, Shawn and Josh came running towards them. Riley ran over and hid behind Cory as Maya still stood there, frozen. Just a few feet away from her was a snake.

Maya forced herself to calm her breathing. She remembered this from elementary school as they were learning about snakes. She shouldn't move. She should stay absolutely still and not make a sound and wait for Josh to come rescue her. But instead of feeling her boyfriend's hands on her or him coming to her rescue, instead she heard his famous laugh. In fact, she heard Cory and Shawn laugh as well.

"W-why are y-you laughing?" Maya asked as she didnt take her eyes off the snake.

"Baby, that's a Garter snake." Josh told her. "It's harmless." He walked over and swooped down in front of Maya and picked up the snake.

"You didnt say anything about snakes." Maya told him as she kept her eyes on the snake that was now in her boyfriend's hands.

"It's the woods, Maya. There's going to be snakes." He told her. "That's just common sense to know."  Maya snapped her head at him and glared.

"Well good, you can kiss him tonight then." She motioned her head to the snake and turned around to walk away.

"Maya, come on!" Josh called after her as she went to join Riley. Shawn and Cory both gave Josh a thumbs up and Josh glared at them before he walked further towards the woods and put the snake down and watched it slither away.

Later on that night, Riley had just gone into her tent saying that she wasn't going to come out until after it was time to go back home as Shawn and Cory kept teasing her about the snake and how she had jumped behind Cory for protection.

Maya had walked a little bit away from their camp sight to sit on a log and look out over the mountains at the view. She was away enough not to be able to see of hear the guys, but not too far that she wouldn't be able to find her way back.

As she looked over the mountain, she smiled. She had to admit. The view was beautiful. Maya had never really been camping or hiking before. Unless you counted that one time when they were all staying at the ski lodge for that trip in high school. But Maya would hardly call that hiking.

"Maya?" Josh called out, he was a few feet away from her. Maya was sure he couldn't see her and that's why he was calling out.

"Over here." She called back to him. Then a moment later Josh was draping his flannel shit over her shoulders and sitting down beside her on the log. Maya looked over and smiled at him as she brought her arms to go through the flannel so that she was now wearing it properly.

"I didnt see you walk off." He said as he closed his eyes to the sound of the thousands of crickets. Maya shrugged her shoulders.

"You know these woods better than anyone. Maybe I was just relying on you to find me." Maya whispered. Josh grinned as he opened his eyes back up and his eyes readjusted the darkness.

"I would always come after you." He stated. Josh looked back over at her and sighed. "I'm sorry that I gave you such a hard time about the snake earlier. I know you've never been camping before, I should have prepared you better." Maya sighed and looked down at her fingers. She started scratching her wrist, a habit she had whenever she was nervous or uncomfortable. Josh grabbed her hand, interlinked their fingers to stop her from doing it.

"It's okay." She told him. Josh shook his head.

"No, its not." Maya looked over at him. "The only reason you came on this trip was because of me. You didnt have to. You're not a camper, and I respect that. But this was important to me. Something I used to do all the time with my family. You wanted to come because you wanted to share something that was important to me. It's one of the greatest things anyone has ever done for me. And I hope you know that I dont take that for granted."

Josh looked at her like she was the only thing in the world. With so much love and adoration. Maya leaned over and kissed him. He kissed her back, bringing one hand up to rest on her cheek as his other hand still held her hand. Maya broke away and smiled at him.

"I complained a lot today." She told him. "I grumbled, I cursed." She listed off.

"Yeah, you did." He nodded. "But it was justified. And I thought it was adorable." Maya scoffed as he leaned back in and kissed her again. Squeezing her hand as he deepened it. Maya pulled back and looked back over at the mountains.

"I would be more open to doing smaller hikes. Starting out small, and working my way up. Besides, this view is gorgeous." She sighed as she snuggled in deeper to Josh's flannel.

"It sure is." Josh whispered. Maya looked over and noticed that Josh was still staring at her. She grinned at him before shaking her head.

"That was really cheesy." Maya told him. She started laughing as Josh rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"You really know how to ruin a mood." He told her, causing her to laugh even harder. She leaned on his for support as he continued to shake his head and wrap an arm around her shoulder.

"I love you." She said as she calmed down and looked up at him. Josh rolled his eyes as he turned his head to look back at her.

"I love you, too." They leaned in and kissed again. Letting the sounds of the crickets drown out the rest of the world.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading and commenting! Hope you guys have a great week!