Chapter 11: Siblings intuition

Max set his pencil down in his journal, not having written much. He wrapped his arms around his legs as he took in the modernized living room.

Large tv, glass shelving, couches that were meant purely for aesthetics given how they managed to break you the fuck in. All changes his step mother could be given credit for.

Long gone was their run down wood table, water rings and all. Replaced by fancy glass, which definitely didn't cut open their little sisters head.

Their toys were gone, family photos moved. Now replaced by a giant ass portrait of his fathers and the thirty something's wedding.

His dad wasn't rich, not like his grandparents. Yet the women hadn't seemed to grasp that fact.

Sarah worked under the table gigs for years while raising the kids. Max and Luis were young when she came into the picture. Babysitting, making pastries and selling them on the dl, making candles and shît but never a job. That was what dad was for.

And despite his constant 'she doesn't understand I'm not made of money', they're still together and nothing has or ever will change.

He would feel bad for the guy if it wasn't entirely his fault. Kick her out, set her straight. Anything. But no.

"Malparido, get out here! I'll leave y'all behind, you know I don't care."

"Chill out, I'm almost ready, Jesus..." Max smirked a little, adjusting his shades as he waited in the drive way.

And yes, in his car. It was busted as fuck but running well and his dad taught him a bunch of techniques when it came to fixing it up. Definitely helped to have that experience from the shop.

They were meant to be driving down to visit their sister, just them two. But Luis had asked if he could sneak his new girlfriend along so, as his brother, he made that shit happen.

He did check in with the girls older brother who was a friend from school oddly enough. All ese had to do was nod and he knew what his job was.

"Did you get everything? Blankets? Pillows? Money?" Max rambled on from the driver's seat, his elbow propped up on the window seal.

His arms were coming back into shape, muscle memory definitly helped. So he made sure to present them nicely in a muscle t like a jackass.

"Hey Aubrey. You doing good?"

"Yessir." She muttered, chuckling a little when he offered a fist bump. He glanced his brothers way. They shared a look of mutual distaste. Then they were off.

The trip was weirdly fun. He and his brother got along well. Luis never saw him as the cool older brother. Despite playing football and having cred or whatever you wanna call it. He never managed to be a role model for him.

Luis followed in their older brothers footsteps with wrestling. Respected him despite Oscar never having time to spare for them.

Max never had a relationship with the guy. Luis was practically the only brother he had. He wanted to be a role model, he wanted to be someone to look up to. He knew he never would though.

But fuck all that right? The drive was nice.

And he'd known Aubrey for a few years, seen her a bit when the guys hung out at Sean's. Surprisingly good at 2k. She was real cool. Buffered between them well enough.

When they met up with Adriana the next day, she practically smacked the shit out of him for not texting her back, thinking they were dead in a ditch somewhere.

Luis and Aubrey ran off to meet the dogs while the grown up and semi grown up talked.

"Hey." She said after a second and he nodded in response. "I missed you. You know that? I'm sorry..sorry I haven't been there for you. I know you need people, I just.."