Truth

"What...?" Arlo stood up, "You're not Zealorian?"

"Look. I need you to hear out my story." Pierce replied.

Right.

Don't get upset.

Hear him out first, then decide.

Arlo stayed in his position.

"Sorry. Please, go on."

"I was born in Vaequiles. I used to have a position as a guard there."

"Used... too? You mean you quit?"

"Yes, I qu-"

Arlo cut him off.

"You quit just so you could help Claire? That's..."

"No. I came here as a spy." Pierce sighed.

"What...?"

Arlo clenched his fists.

"Are you the one that spoiled the plan? No, if you were, then you wouldn't be telling me th..." Arlo paused.

"Are you planning to kill me?" Arlo asked, his eyes narrowing. He backed off, preparing to fight.

"No! No!" Pierce put his hands up and shook his head, "I'm telling you this because I want to help you. I'm sick of Vaequiles's prideful ways."

"I... see..." Arlo didn't loosen up.

"I used to think your plan of uniting with Vaequiles was a terrible idea, but... I realized you were right. I want to help you bring back Czarina."

Arlo breathed in deeply.

"Okay. I think I understand. What else is there you want to tell me?"

Pierce stayed silent for a few minutes.

"I'm part of a secret society called the Miseia. It works to keep Zealorus under the control of Vaequiles, so that they don't try to fight back and remain weak. We also work to make sure Vaequilians don't destroy Zealorians..." Pierce trailed off.

"For what reason?" Arlo asked.

"Well... Vaequiles is practically built by the fact that it has a strong army, right?"

Arlo nodded.

"Well, if the Zealorians were destroyed, then what would become of Vaequiles? It would crumble. Power wouldn't mean anything anymore. That's what the Miseia prevents."

Arlo sat still, thinking about it.

It all makes sense.

It's simple, really.

If Zealorus disappears, Vaequiles wouldn't be "strong".

But you can't just get rid of Vaequiles, either. The people wouldn't be happy about that.

"So... the emperor of Vaequiles knows of this?" Arlo asked.

"No. I don't know who's leading it all, but... they must have some influence over the emperor. Zealorus remains, even though Vaequiles threatens to destroy it."

"I see..." Arlo frowned.

"One last thing." Pierce whispered, "Keith is a part of the Miseia."

Pierce continued.

"In fact, he was the cloaked figure that attacked you along with the possessed villagers in Tranquis." he looked down at his shoes.

Time flew by as they talked.

Pierce had explained a lot to him. How he was a guard, why he joined the Miseia, how he really met Claire...

Arlo looked up at his clock.

"Oh... it's already four in the morning. You should go." Arlo stood up, and Pierce did the same.

Arlo opened the door for Pierce, who promptly stepped out.

"Let's talk to Gale about this tomorrow morning." Arlo suggested.

"Alright."

Arlo watched as Pierce walked away.

Thank you. I may not fully understand your reason to do this, but... thank you.

Arlo suddenly turned around and grabbed the bag with the shield in it, and returned to the door.

"Hey, Pier-" Arlo looked outside.

He was already gone.