Chapter 3-13

During our last days, I soaked up the Eastern territory like I stayed at a vacation resort. My time was spent with my eyes half-closed, fingers outstretched, walking among the flower-filled rows in the green house, running around the lake in Lumi's form, and enjoying the company.

I even appreciated Torak's company during platonic activities. With our common imperfections and similar gilded cages, we fell somewhere in between mates and friends.

The one place I couldn't step foot into for saying goodbye to was the library. I hadn't physically stepped into that building since I learned Lumi's breakdown, for fear that the library triggered her into another withdrawal.

Maybe someday I'll go back.

Until then, I experienced the beautiful library through Elena. No part of me was surprised at most of the boxes packed up in her and Cole's room containing books.

'Zara?' A knock at my door followed a mindlink from Cole. 'You in here?'

'Yup.' Hinging over my bathroom sink, I spat my mouthful of toothpaste with a splat.

After I rinsed my mouth and padded my bare over to the door, I opened it to a concerned set of brown eyes.

"Everything okay?" I stepped aside for Cole to enter.

"We need to talk about security plans before we leave," he muttered, brushing past me.

He looked around at the lack of furniture, so I pointed to the bed. He straddled one corner, so I climbed to the farthest possible spot, near the headboard and tried not to think about the awkwardness here.

"So..." I folded my feet under and sat criss-crossed on the white fluffy comforter that disappointed me when it didn't fit in my suitcase. "Security?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "Since there's been rogue attacks both times, I think we should try a different approach while driving across the entire country."

"Such as?" I wasn't sure how I felt about 'different,' but his serious tone sounded like I had little choice.

"Decoys." His lips twitched and he exhaled. "Multiple cars and multiple Zara's."

"Multiple mes?" My eyebrows shooting up, I wondered how we would accomplish this.

"Two more, to be specific." An sullen look spread in his eyes and he dropped them to his lap.

"Let me guess," I shot back in a dry voice. "Elena is one."

"Yeah." His eyebrows drew together and a scowl tugged down the corners of his mouth.

"I always wondered what she'd look like as a blonde," I tried to lighten up the awkward airspace between us. "Wait... How is she getting blonde hair?"

"Time for a haircut, Princess." He grinned, making it my turn to scowl.

Of course he's only happy about something at my expense.

"While you were in the tattoo tent, we found a wig-maker who agreed to make two wigs from horse hair." My jaw relaxed at that update, until his broad shoulders bounced with hearty laughter. "We couldn't find anyone else with your hair color."

"Tell me about it," I muttered to myself.

Looking down, I picked at an imaginary piece of lint on the comforter. While not as much as in the North, I stood out from others here too.

"So, you and Elena can travel together in one -" A quick shake of Cole's head shut that possible setup down.

"Elena will be one of your doubles." Another scowl twisted his face. "And ride with Raina."