24

"Chelsea!" An arm slung over my shoulders as Ashley all but tackled me from behind.

"Hey, Ash!" I said, beaming at her.

Nolan barely glanced over at her. We were walking to the school indoor pool together after our chemistry class, and so far, he hadn't shown any signs of running away.

"Biology was so boring," she griped. "At least we get to be together in gym."

"Yeah," I said and nodded. "At least we aren't going to suffer under the hot sun today."

"Wait," she whispered, slowing down.

I looked at her curiously. "What?"

Ashley's eyes darted between Nolan and me repeatedly, as if she couldn't decide who she wanted to stare at more. "I can't believe I just noticed that you're walking to class with Nolan. No, scratch that—Nolan's coming to gym today?"

"He can probably hear you, you know," I whispered back.

Nolan yawned again.

"How?" she asked, gaping at me.

I had a feeling she wasn't asking me how he could hear her.

"I asked him until he said yes," I said, shrugging. "I wanted to know just what it was about gym he hated so much."

"I know you've become friends with him lately," she whispered, "but I can't believe he agreed. He never comes to gym."

"I know," I said. "I can't wait to see the expression on Mr. Robinson's face." And the faces of all our other classmates when they saw him.

She grinned. "You know what? Me too."

After changing in the locker room, we headed for the pool. Melissa was already there, having an animated conversation with Derek. Based on their frowns and narrowed eyes, I had a feeling that they were engaged in their usual bickering.

"Hey guys," I said when we reached them.

"Hey," Melissa said grumpily.

"What's up?" Ashley said.

"Derek's just annoying me," she said, rolling her eyes. "What's new?"

He snorted. "As if you don't do the same to me."

"I think it's cute how you guys only annoy each other this much," Ashley said, wiggling her eyebrows at them.

Beside her, I coughed. They both looked at her oddly.

"What is that even supposed to mean?" Derek complained.

"Wait a minute..." Melissa's mouth fell open as her gaze sharpened at something behind me. "Is that Nolan?"

"Seriously?" Derek said, craning his head—which was clearly for show since he was taller than all of us—and looking over our heads. "Is he really here at gym class? I have to be hallucinating. Quick, Mel, pinch me."

Dropping her gaze at once, Melissa seized the opportunity to deliver him a nasty pinch. "You got it, Derek! You can always count on me!"

"I didn't say to pinch me that hard!" he snapped at her, rubbing at the rapidly reddening spot on his skin.

A rush of affection warmed my heart as I watched two of my closest friends start quarreling again. I laughed and turned around to look for Nolan.

"I'm sorry, were pinches supposed to not hurt? I might just get you a dictionary for your birthday this year," Melissa said.

It wasn't hard to find him among our classmates, mostly because so many people were looking at him. The direction of their staring was good as a bright red arrow pointing to Nolan's location.