.01

"SO YOU'RE DITCHING ME FOR THE ENTIRE SUMMER?"

The brunette shuffled through the contents of her locker with a sigh. She expected a response like this, but it didn't mean the pout on her best friend's face made it any easier.

"It's not exactly a dream vacation," she reasoned, reaching for her physics textbook before sparing her friend a glance. "I don't want to spend my senior summer like that, either."

"Spence," April whined, and Spencer had half a mind to fold herself into the small metal compartment in front of her just to avoid the guilt trip her friend was about to send her through.

"I'm sorry," she told her earnestly, pressing the door closed, and turning to face her friend. Her mom was all about being forward in relationships, and Spencer was trying her best. "It was my mom's idea, she wants me to get to know him better before I go off into the world."

(Spencer emphasized the last part because college was coming! and she was under no restraint to attend familial gatherings.)

"But you see your dad like every Christmas," April reminded her, tilting her head so that her strawberry blonde braids hit her neck. "And sometimes on your birthday - he does realize it's summer, right? Your last summer of being a kid?"

Of course, Spencer realized this. She was the one living it. But just as much as her summer plans and hopes were getting wrecked - so were April's. The two of them did everything together.

"April," she said. "I promised my mom I'd do this." she reached into her back pocket and slipped out a dollar bill as the two started their way down to the fifth period.

Spencer eyed one of the cute popular boys. She was supposed to have a boyfriend by now. She was seventeen, prime dating age.

But that was less of a priority right now, as she looked at her pouting friend, who was furious with the idea of being abandoned during the best summer of their lives.

Readjusting her backpack strap, Spencer added, "Plus, apparently my dad had a bad relationship with his dad, and he's been all afraid of history repeating itself."

April looked unaffected. "So?"

"So," Spencer said. "I'm going. Gonna fix the family tradition, or whatever."

"Doesn't he live in New York?" April asked. "That's half a world away, Spence."

"Trust me," Spencer almost laughed out, "I won't be having any fun." She pressed the numbers into the vending machine in front of her. "I'll probably be doing summer homework all break."

That was only half a lie. Because Spencer's dad was super over-protective - when he came to visit, he was concerned with anything that could possibly be wrong with Spencer medically. A simple cold was like a death sentence to the guy.