22 | surprise, surprise !

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     Rain kept pouring in cascades down the window pane and Samira couldn't see a thing that's going on outside, but it won't keep her from staring right through it.

     "Don't be stupid, he will come", Cedric sitting next to his sister, who held a crumbled piece of parchment clenched in her fist, told her. "He definitely won't miss your victory!"

     "You know, I don't care", Samira sighed, but it was a lie. She wanted her father to sit in the stands and watch her win the tournament. But the letter she had received from her mother that morning had told her different. Amos Diggory was too busy to show up. Allegedly. "I know he's all wrapped up in his job. It's okay. Mum will be there. And you will be there. That's all that matters."

     Time flew by in a rush, but this time Samira didn't feel the panic of the former two tasks press on her shoulders. Without a riddle to be solved and with the full knowledge of what was coming for her, she couldn't wait for it to start. Long forgotten was the strange man and his warning, and Samira was eager to win the game.

    The morning of the third task, Samira awoke with mixed feelings. At the one hand, she wanted the task to start now, but a tingly sensation of nervousness was building in her stomach as she walked into the Great Hall along with Ian and Nora, the latter being as nervous as if it was herself who was going to take the task, but the three of them found an unpleasant distraction as soon as they reached the Hufflepuff table.

     "What a bunch of bullshit", Samira snorted, throwing the Daily Prophet aside, her eyes wandering towards the Gryffindor table, where Harry laid down the newspaper as well, with a roll of his eyes and a smile on his face. "He's just stressed out. This Skeeter woman's brain should be checked, though. It must be damaged to a point beyond repair."

     "This is not good", Nora muttered. "Not good at all."

     "Oh c'mon, Nora", Ian scoffed. "Curse scars do hurt sometimes. We even learned about that in Lupin's class last year!"

     "Am I really the only one sensing there's something in the wind?", Nora replied, her forehead wrinkled in sorrow. "I still think Sam should listen to that man. It's not that important to win, why can't you just do your best and give the cup to Potter? It's a victory for Hogwarts at least!"

     Samira looked at Nora in disbelief. "I've not come this far to let a fourth year get my success. What should happen? I won't blow up when I touch the cup. I still assume it was one of Karkaroff's henchmen trying to frighten me."

     Nora's eyes wandered up to the teachers' table, cocking an eyebrow. "It doesn't look like he's really caring about the tournament, Sam."

    As Samira followed Nora's gaze, her eyes landed on Karkaroff, who looked indeed unhealthily pale, staring down at the empty plate in front of him, his lips silently moving, his hand wrapped around his lower arm.

     "Don't know what you mean, he's acting that abnormal for weeks now", Ian retorted, shrugging.

     "And I am the only one thinking this isn't normal?! Okay, he's strange and all, but where's his pride gone? Krum entered the hall five minutes ago and Karkaroff didn't even look at him! And what is it with Snape?", Nora then added, as Ian and Samira still didn't seem impressed. "He's staring at Karkaroff constantly!"

     "I always got some gay vibes from Snape", Ian said in a matter as fact voice. "I mean, he's in his thirties and doesn't have a wife and kids. Let's face it, Snape is gay! Though I thought he had a little thing for Lupin. Dunno why he's now drooling all over ol' Igor."

     Nora sighed, looking defeated and she was definitely not happy about it. "Just be careful, Sam, okay?"

     "Of course I will", Samira replied, trying to reassure her best friend with a smile. "Some of Hagrid's beasts are in this maze, I'd be a fool to take this easy."

     When Nora and Ian left for their last exam, Cedric took Ian's empty seat.

     "Don't you have to write an exam?", Samira asked, looking at him kinda dazzled. It was unlikely for her brother to risk being on time for something so important.

     "Professor Sprout allowed me to write it yesterday in the evening, so I could spend the day with you", Cedric told her with a smile. "She just made me swear I won't tell anyone about it. But she agreed with me that I should stay with you, as dad won't be able to come."

     "Oh Josephine, sometimes it's just impossible to not love you." She beamed brightly at him, nudging his shoulder.

     "Don't get too used to it", he laughed. "So what do you say? Shall we meet Mum?"

     The champions families were waiting in the trophy room, and as Samira crossed the Great Hall with Cedric, Fleur and Krum were also already on their way. Harry, though, kept sitting in his place, his fork lazily shoving some crumbled eggs over his table. Samira touched Cedric's arm, giving him a sign to wait, as she changed direction and walked over to the young Gryffindor.

     "C'mon, get up, Potter", she said, smirking down at him and he looked up at her questioning. "You won't think I let you sit around here on your own all day long, do you? You can spend the time with Ced, my mother and I, until Hermione and Ron have finished their exam."

     "Oh no no, that's — I don't want to faze your family meeting", Harry stammered, his cheeks growing pink. "I'm fine, really."

     "Don't make me force you, Harry", Samira said, taking his hand and pulling him out of his seat. "You won't faze anything."

     Harry didn't seem to dare to turn this invitation down a second time, looking more than just slightly uncomfortable in his skin. But Samira smiled, because she knew that just behind the closed door they were heading at, the biggest surprise was waiting for the youngest champion.

     But as her hand met the door knob, her smile dropped in a sudden moment of realisation what Harry's surprise did mean to her.

     She would meet George's mother. And by Merlin, she was not ready for this at all ...

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3