Chapter 18: Unwanted

The girl stood up and looked at us. She was somewhat taller than me, had eyes of beautiful sky-blue color, and had blonde hair. Her look was quite similar to that of a wild cat. But God, her muscles were gently toned. Everyone was in good shape, even women. I was weakling at her side. She was in a plain white T-shirt, black pants, and sneakers—their handmade clothes.

"Sirius, you're back," she said in a perfectly soft voice as she approached.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, joined her forehead to his for a second, and then pulled away. I blushed with jealousy; I couldn't help it since that gesture took me by surprise. 

The girl looked at me like a weirdo and asked, "Who is this human?"

"She comes with me."

She looked at him in surprise.

"What?" the girl exclaimed, almost horrified. "I heard you had seen your mother again, but you were supposed to leave the human with Orion."

"No. I will leave her in the capital."

"Are you crazy?!" She glared at me, then looked back at him. "Do you want to be killed? This was not in the plan, now was when you should join me, not die!"

Wait, what?!

Anthony shook his head, and with a slight smile of unconcern, he turned to look at a nearby thicket.

"Rigel, Deneb, come out," he ordered.

I was open-mouthed. Was he going to join her? Did it mean the nucleus he had told me about that day? How did he omit that detail?! Another lie, geez!

The girl looked at me indignantly and then angrily again. Great, she hated me, and I expected no less. Two young men emerged from the thicket, and I would have sworn they were human if it were not for the fact that they both had one light blue eye and the other green. Twins.

"Forgive me," Anthony said to me. "I have not introduced you. They are the brothers Rigel and Deneb," he pointed at them, and both smiled at me, scared. "And she is Ursa." The girl was looking at him, completely dissatisfied. "My friends."

Perfect, Ursa. She was a constellation of pure beauty and hated me. I nodded slowly, and she grimaced at me.

"I'm going to show you my city before Orion's men come looking for me," he said.

Of course, I wanted to see his city, but I did not know that he could die. This was not how I had imagined. I didn't want it.

I was pierced by the girl's hateful look again; I could feel her behind me. So, she had practically been his fiancée? I felt tiny and pathetic by her side. She was majestic as a cougar, as was Sirius, and I was a squirrel. And even worse, he would die for choosing me over his people.

We walked a long stretch. I became more anxious each time until I got startled to feel that Anthony had taken my hand.

"Everything will be fine," he whispered.

"Yes, well... If they don't try to kill me, it's a good thing, right?" I also muttered.

He smiled.

"They wouldn't. I wouldn't allow it, and they would not want to face me for many reasons," he replied confidently.

I squeezed his hand a little more. I wouldn't like to see them fight for me. Although I already had his possible death on my back. Why the hell was I starting to feel guilty now?

Around twenty minutes after, I saw a town and got impressed. On the outskirts were plots of crops, some evolved people working that land, and they looked at me, surprised. The houses seemed quite rustic. Ups and downs, where vegetation abounded, it almost seemed like another forest, and plants grew, covering walls.