TWENTY EIGHT

UNEDITED

TWENTY EIGHT

TWENTY EIGHT. DALLAS LAWYERS

HOTCH WAS IN A BAD MOOD. Daisy noticed this as soon as she saw his tense posture in the lobby of the biggest Dallas law firm. He was tapping something into his phone, likely wondering where she was. 

Sure enough, her phone dinged with a text. 

How far away are you? H. 

"I'm right here," she tapped his shoulder, and he turned around, looking down at her. She was dressed smarter than she usually was, and for that he was grateful. If he let her know that, though, she would go out of her way to dress like a slob just because she knew the rich assholes would turn their noses up. 

"Prentiss and Morgan are en route to Hoyt Ashford's home," he muttered, his eyes flickering back down to his phone. He spun on his heel and stalked through the ground floor, Daisy on his tail. 

"Hello to you too, sir," she chuckled, her eyebrows raised. He was far more on edge than usual, and she wasn't a hundred percent sure why. This wasn't their worst case, and in her opinion, she wasn't completely bummed out about the rich capitalist pricks who were dropping.  

Hotch exhaled loudly. "Hello."

Daisy patted his shoulder and flashed him a smile, watching as he pressed JJ's contact number and held his phone to his ear. Daisy was left standing next to him, looking around the area. There were far too many people in suits for her liking - though she was standing next to one. 

"JJ, both lawyers said that they would be here at noon," Hotch muttered into his cell, using his other hand to check his watch. "It's almost twelve-thirty, neither of them are here. Can you text me the numbers? I need to call-"

"Agent Hotchner?" He was cut off by a wealthy-looking woman stopping in front of them. Daisy wasn't a super judgemental person, but from one look at the haircut and string of pearls, she wasn't a fan. 

"Never mind, she's here," Hotch hung up the phone and reached out to shake the woman's hand. Daisy did the same, managing to hide her distaste. 

"Ellen Daniels," she introduced herself. "Barswell Consulting."

"Ms. Daniels, we called two lawyers and neither of them was you," the three began walking, Hotch sandwiched between the two women. 

"They called me to consult on the press releases," she responded with ease. "My firm specialises in strategic risk management for firms around the city."

"Ah, you're a problem solver," Daisy stepped around Hotch, stopping in front of the two. She expected Hotch to be annoyed, but he had a similar expression on his face. He didn't trust this woman either. 

"And we have a mutual one, don't we?" she looked Daisy up and down, a frown pulling at her lips. 

"Do you know who this girl is?" Daisy crossed her arms, unintimidated by the woman.