Chapter 6

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of Kudos and BBC. The original characters and plot are the property of the author of this story. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material. No copyright infringement is intended.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT

>>> <<<

Lucas' arm hurt where the bat hit him. She was a damn good hitter, that he had to admit to himself as he followed her out of the taxi and up the steps to her flat. It had taken her a few minutes to calm her nerves down after their unfortunate misunderstanding inside her office. He had found her front door ajar and, seeing the faint light beneath the door leading to her office, he had assumed that she was inside.

And though he had been right - she was inside the office - the last thing he expected was for her to be with a bat ready to bash his head in.

He'd had a tenuous day dealing with Harry and Ros as they doubted his loyalty to MI5. And though being Tasered wasn't his idea of fun either, double-crossing Arkady Kachimov into believing that he'd been exposed as the mole within FSB certainly was. It had given Lucas an adrenaline rush like nothing he had felt in a long time. He considered it his revenge for the eight years of hell Kachimov had subjected him to.

However, none of that had compared to telling, not asking, his ex-wife to work for MI5 to save herself and her family. Lucas' jaw tightened as the image of Elizabeta staring at him from across the kitchen counter returned to him.

"Were you always this cold under the skin?" She had asked him. "Was that man I knew just a lie?"

Her words had cut through his heart like a knife. He loved her still.

"Lucas," Alexa said again, her words slicing through the haze of memories. "Would you like to come in?"

Alexa opened a bottle of white wine to go with the fish and chips that Lucas had brought along with him and they sat on the floor of the living room to eat. Alexa wondered if Lucas had known that she'd been at the Grid to see Harry but didn't think it too important to ask him. He was here with her now, wasn't he?

Lucas was wearing a black shirt over dark blue jeans, colors that highlighted the classic features of his face. He sat with his back against the sofa, his legs stretched out in front of him on the rug, munching on some chips as he watched her, a smile on his lips. Alexa sat with her legs folded to one side, propping herself up on the sofa next to him.

"You gave me quite a scare," she said, taking a sip from the wine. "What made you come over?"

Lucas gazed at her, his eyes resting on her full lips before returning to her eyes. Alexa had beautiful green almond-shaped eyes framed with long lashes. Her skin was flawless and her hair hung in loose waves across her shoulders, spilling onto her back. He could see the faint pulse on her neck.

"I missed you," he said, smiling sheepishly.  

Alexa laughed, blushing. "You liar," she said. "I bet you've got loads of women running after you."

Lucas laughed. "If they are, then I've lost them somewhere along the way."

They chuckled for a few moments and continued eating. Lucas licked his fingers, wiping them with a napkin before taking another sip of the wine.

Alexa exhaled. It had taken a few moments for her to calm down back there at her office long after Lucas helped her up off the floor, holding her till she stopped trembling. And even as they had gotten into the taxi, she had still found herself shaking though this time, she shoved her hands in her coat pockets, not wanting Lucas to see them.