Eighteen

Soon after, Shi Xiao Xi's first day at the Chunlan group company arrived.

She made sure to check in half an hour earlier, wearing tan trouser pants and a white turtleneck sweater. She tied her hair into a high ponytail and paired it up with a ribbon hair tie.

Shi Xiao Xi was a bit nervous, but she took solace on the fact that the weather was good. Compared to what had happened back when she applied for Coeval, this was already a good sign.

The company had told her to report first to the human resources to get her ID, after which they would give her a quick tour of the company building. Shi Xiao Xi quickly asked for their contact information, in case she had basic inquiries later on.

Compared to Coeval, the Chunlan group company building wasn't that large. Shi Xiao Xi took note of where the bathrooms were and asked her tour guide about general questions she had prepared the night before.

"Working here is bit tiring, but our boss and most of the managers here are kind people. By the way, do you want to have lunch with us later? We're eating at the company cafeteria."

Shi Xiao Xi smiled, "I'd love to, thank you."

She had brought a packed lunch with her, but it was more important to socialize with her co-workers, especially on her first day.

After her tour and being introduced to dozens of people, Shi Xiao Xi took refuge on one of the bathrooms, fixing her make-up and massaging her sore cheeks. She had felt her phone vibrate earlier, and she opened it up to see a missed call from her mother and a text from Wu Zhenzhen. She had switched it on silent to avoid it disturbing her work.

"Xiao Xi, good luck!" Wu Zhenzhen had texted her with a smiley face at the end, along with an attached picture of her goofing around in front of the camera.

Shi Xiao Xi smiled.

She didn't stay long in the bathroom, and immediately went out. After all, she still had to meet her boss.

The office of the CEO was on the topmost floor, and her tour guide from the human resources gave her a quick introduction to the executive secretary before he left. Just like Mr. Han from Coeval, there was an executive secretary that often reports directly to the CEO.

Shi Xiao Xi's job title was called 'secretary,' but actually, it would be correct to call her as more of an assistant to the executive secretary.

"Good morning, ma'am," Shi Xiao Xi slightly gave her a polite bow. Unlike Mr. Han, this executive secretary didn't look approachable at all. "My name is Shi Xiao Xi, the newly appointed secretary."

Shi Xiao Xi couldn't help but feel nervous. Her disastrous first day at Coeval had given her a slight trauma.

"Good morning." The stern-looking woman eyed her up and down. "I've viewed your application. It was written there that you didn't have any experience of being a secretary?"

Shi Xiao Xi maintained eye contact. "I don't have any experience, but I'll strive hard at this job. I know it's my honor to be working for the company, so I'll make sure to aim my best and not disappoint your trust, ma'am."

Her words were eloquent and confident, but only Shi Xiao Xi knew how much her fingers were trembling. She knew that her less than stellar work experience would be questioned sooner or later, so she had already rehearsed her answer.

"Words are words, easy to say but hard to follow-up." She waved a hand and turned her head. "Ah Lam, come here."

A beautiful woman instantly stood up from her seat and came forward. Her hair was cut in a short bob, tucked neatly behind her ears, and she was wearing dark slacks and a white peasant blouse. She looked cool and chic.

Ah Lam gave a polite smile to Shi Xiao Xi before turning her head towards the executive secretary. Suddenly, her eyes widened.

"Sister Yu! Did you change your lipstick?"

The endearment 'Sister Yu' was particularly intimate.

The name of the executive secretary was Wen Yu. She was a woman in her mid-thirties, single, without any husband because she had been too busy with work. At Ah Lam's praise, she self-consciously put a finger on her lips.

"You noticed? I actually went shopping yesterday, and saw that my favorite brand had created a new shade."

Ah Lam laughed and linked her hand through her arm. "It looks good on you. What shade is it? I want to buy it too."

The two of them laughed and talked, completely ignoring Shi Xiao Xi. Finally, after five minutes of happy conversation, Ah Lam remembered her.

"Sister Yu, is she the boss' new secretary? You want me to orient her?"

"Ah, yes. If it isn't too much trouble, she doesn't have any experience."

"It's fine, it's fine, I'll take care of it. After all, we're all family here."

Wen Yu finally departed in a good mood, touching her lipstick once in a while. Ah Lam flashed a smile at Shi Xiao Xi and held her hands.

"Your name is Shi Xiao Xi? It's so cute, I want to have a name like that too. Xiao Xi, why don't we go and grab some coffee first? It's too boring to start a work day without any coffee."

Shi Xiao Xi looked at the clock. After hesitating, she said, "But work hours start now..."

Ah Lam laughed. "You're so stiff. Sister Yu and I are great friends, she won't scold us. Besides, it's your first day. Relax a little."

Without waiting for her to respond, Ah Lam grabbed her hand and tugged her towards the direction of the elevator.