CHAPTER II

The snow goes white on the mountain tonight

Not a footprint to be seen

SAPPHIRE

I barely had space to place my foot. The slab had resemblance to a polished shield. I would have used a levitation spell, but something about this place didn't allow me to do complicated magic. Pebbles tumbled down the rock when I accidently placed my feet on a weak spot. Another 5 minutes and I had slipped almost twenty times. What can I say? I was totally creeped out. I had never been scared of heights. Instead, height and speed were my two best friends. But, today, it was scaring me. I hadn't even reached the halfway checkpoint. Still my limbs hurt from the effort. It felt as if something was pushing me back.

My brain was fighting its own internal battle. My worst memories threatened to burst through the jail I had created for them in my mind. And I meant that literally. I had actually built a kind of prison in my mind. If I had to be a good leader I could not dwell on my past. And so with a bit of tricky magic I blocked my traumatic past away.

His eyes glinting with amusement as he held the sword to my father's neck. As my mother begged-

Stop! my mind yelled in protest.

And I shifted out of the flashback. I shut my eyes tightly.

I can't dwell on that. Concentrate.

I kept climbing.

****

It took me almost 3 hours to complete the hike. I fell off a few times. If it hadn't been for my magic, I may already have been dead. Even before reaching the cave. The cave in front of me was at least thirty feet tall, itself. I had landed behind it. Maybe, the giant hadn't sensed me? At least I would have the element of surprise if that was the case...

"Help me Trivia." I sent a silent prayer to Trivia, the goddess of magic.

I muttered a few arcane words under my breath. Now, I was safe against frostbites, at least till some extent.

I crawled to the cave and pressed my ear to it. I heard no voices. Maybe the giant wasn't home? Maybe I could just take what I needed and get out without bloodshed?

You are being to optimistic. Be ready for the worst. The rational part of my brain scolded.

But I wanted to be hopeful. I already felt weak by staying in this cave for so long. As though all magic was being drawn out of me. I was feeling drowsier and drowsier as time passed. I wanted to do nothing more than pass out on the snow covered floor.

That's when my ears pulled me out of my stupor. I heard footsteps. I quickly ran around the cave into the bushes. But the footfalls were fast and to quiet for a giant. Someone else was here with me. A metaphorical hand clutched around my heart. What if it was some one from the dark wizards?

No they don't know about this mission, they can't. And even if they get it, they won't know how to use it.

I don't know why but suddenly I felt as if a refrigerator had been opened behind me. I heard a grunting sound. I immediately knew what was behind me. I had been too careless. I readied a fire shield. The ice giant I had come to see was standing right behind me. I turned to see a 15 feet tall giant with whitish blue skin. His ears were pointed and so were his canines and had exactly no hair. He carried no weapon. But I am sure the big size would have helped a lot there. And don't forget to count the ice breath. He wore a shirt and a pant that looked like a patchwork of rags. At least not rags as Fred had said.

"How nice to see you witch, you can keep the fire away. I have exactly what you need." he said

What?!!