60. Magic

"I told the stars about
you."

Scarlett gazed up at the sky above her

The dark canvas that hung over her head was speckled with stars and the moon glowed in a crescent, illuminating the balcony that she sat on. In her mind, she was reminded of the DreamWorks moon that plays before a movie. She cocked her head to try and find the boy who was fishing for stars; what a story it would be to tell Cassie.

She always chose the brick cornerstone of the balcony as her choice seat. Ace had pulled up a chair facing her and as she watched the sky, he watched his Sky, happy, smiling, near him.

Her legs dangled off the side of her seat. She seemed to have a never-ending supply of t-shirt dresses that she wore around the house, with a matching headband. In fact, the headband she was wearing had been a gift from Francine, who had kept her word.

She leaned back on her arms, her head tilted upwards, taking in all the stars.

"The sky is so beautiful tonight," she said, in a happy sigh.

Ace's eyes hadn't left her since they had walked out on to the balcony. He had on that small smile of his. "Yes, she is," he agreed, "Almost like she must be a figment of my imagination; no real person should be this beautiful."

Scarlett smiled and lowered her head to look at him. There was a small tint of pink that had coloured her cheeks.

In the soft moment of just Ace and Sky, there were always moments when they responded to each other in just a look. In fact, they barely did need words to communicate the things they felt for each other. However, when Ace did decide to string his words together, they always wrapped around her like a warm blanket of love.

Sometimes, they both wondered how they fit so well together; fiery, energetic, infectious Scarlett and reserved, understated, mysterious Ace. Scarlett tended to air all her thoughts to Ace; something she had never been able to do with anyone else. Only grateful to have her trust him so much, Ace watched her flit up and down whatever room he was in, listening to the ramblings that came from her voice.

Scarlett focused on his eyes.

His eyes were shining, roguishly. His eyes always shone and sparkled in their dazzling green, but that night they really gleamed.

"January twenty-ninth," she said.

Ace leaned forward and put his elbows on his knees, amused. "No, Sky."

"March fourteenth."

"No, Sky."

"October twenty-sixth."

"Yes, Sky."

"July th –"

Scarlett straightened her head and stared at him. "W-what?"