17: Let's Get Wet

When they finally emerge from the museum Isaac is surprised by the sunlight and has to squint his eyes to minimise the glare. It appears the downpour has passed and the sun is back out, and instantly Isaac knows what he wants to do this afternoon.

First they have to grab lunch, and Isaac is pleased to find his favourite cafe nearby is still open. Liam seems to be constantly surprised by how well Isaac knows the streets round here, how he can find a cafe in every place they go, or direct Liam without thought to wherever he wants to go. Isaac spent the majority of his childhood here, and more importantly there wasn't much else to do except explore. Isaac associates his childhood with going on adventures, setting out on a journey without much of a plan, and trying to try cake in every single cafe he set his eyes upon. As such Isaac has a definitive ranking of every Victoria Sponge in the local area.

"So," Liam says, "what's the plan for this afternoon."

"It's a surprise."

"Nope. No more surprises, I refuse to be surprised ever again."

"Well aren't you boring," Isaac replies.

"You're one to talk."

"Are you being this grumpy on purpose or is something going on?"

"Sorry," Liam says, "I didn't mean to be grumpy."

"It's okay. Anyway, my plan for this afternoon is paddleboarding."

"Paddleboarding?"

"Yes."

"Why is it always watersports with you?" Liam asks.

"I like the water."

Liam raises his eyebrows but says nothing. Simply sips his tea and keeps quiet.

"Are you down?" Isaac asks after a beat of silence.

"I'm down."

Once lunch is over the two of them catch tbe bus back to the hostel and get changed, Isaac thinks he know's where the place that rents out paddleboards is and hopes that it still exists.

It is the strange thing about being back here, he's finding that things aren't quite the way he remembers. Like everything is the same but ever so subtly different, and Isaac has decided he really does not like it. It's slightly disorienting, and Isaac is worried he is going to lead Liam somewhere and be embarrassed by the fact that it doesn't exist. The one comfort Isaac has found is that the scenery has not changed, and it never will, the lake is still the lake, the hills still stretching high and far beyond around them.

"Take me away," Liam says once he's dressed, "I have no idea where I'm going so I'm going to follow you as per usual."

"Would you follow me if I jumped off a cliff?" Isaac teases.

"I'd probably assume it was some fun new activity you were introducing me to, to be honest. Cliff diving is a thing right?"

"Only if there's water at the bottom."

The paddleboard place is indeed where Isaac remembers it being and he leads Liam down to the lakeshore, attempting to show Liam some semblance of technique. It's harder than Isaac remembers, the last time he did this is years ago now and it turns out he had much better balance back then. Isaac realises that this whole endevaour may end in disaster but he decides it's likely safer not to tell Liam and let him find that out for himself.

Eventually they're heading out into the water, Isaac taking the chance to appreciate the large expanse in front of them. Back when he was younger Isaac used to think that the lake never ended, that because he couldn't see the other end then it couldn't possibly exist. He sometimes still lets himself believe that, that if he set off now and went further and further into the lake it would stretch on forever, and he could spend his whole life exploring and never be done.