Chapter forty four - In which you still can't teleport

Author's note: hey guys, not long left to go with this story now, I've probably got about ten more chapters left to write if I stick to my plan, but that's a big 'if'. I'm still debating about a part two which would involve Ragnarok and IW (eek I know), so let me know what you think in the comments! I hope you enjoy this chapter (once again this gif has little to no relevance to this story but he's such a bean and I wanted to share my uwu feels).

...

A small crowd had gathered around the steps you and Loki were stood on. As the SHIELD guards and agents dispersed and disappeared back inside the headquarters, all attention was on you and Loki.

"Come on." you muttered, wishing to avoid all of the phones and cameras which were being pointed in your direction, taking hold of his arm and tugging him away down the street. Once you were away from all of the attention you were able to cast illusions unnoticed, taking on the appearances of a couple you passed going in the opposite direction, and soon you were lost in the throng of people going about their business on the streets of New York.

The walk back to the tower seemed to last an age. Your brain was working at a hundred miles an hour trying to process what Fury had just told the two of you, and Loki wasn't exactly being quiet with his thoughts. You were nervous; he was radiating a sort of quiet rage and hadn't spoken a word to you while you'd been walking, vocally or mentally. Originally you'd planned to ask why you weren't just teleporting back to the tower, but you could tell that he needed to let off some steam, so you followed him wordlessly.

When you finally arrived back at the tower Loki stopped you before you could go inside.

"I need to leave." he told you. You saw through the illusion to his face, and then through his facial expression to his emotions. Past the anger and the annoyance and straight to the fear.

I'll come with you.

No.

You sighed in exasperation.

"I can't just let you-"

"Let me! Why does everyone here think I'm some sort of prisoner? I can leave whenever I please!"

You faltered, taken aback by the outburst.

"Loki, that's not-"

"Don't follow me."

You reached out to stop him, but froze when you heard the thought which passed through his subconscious before you could grab him.

And then he was gone.

...

"So where is he now?"

"Still at SHIELD. He'll be back later."

You were lying to your friends for him, figuring that if Tony found out that Loki had gone off-piste, Fury would also find out and perhaps then he would not be as 'generous' with his terms. Tony, Thor and Nat were sat around you on a sofa in the living room and you'd just told them about what had happened at the headquarters. Most of it, anyway.

"How did he take being blackmailed? Badly, I assume." Thor asked, and you smiled wearily.

"Fury told him that he had to stay at SHIELD while he was working for them too."

There was a profound silence.

"I'll make sure he stays here kid. It's a bad idea to have him over there anyway." Tony told you after a pause, patting your hand and standing up. You were suddenly overcome with the almost overwhelming urge to cry, made worse when you tried to thank him through your mind rather than saying it out loud.