eleven.

EMBER

The beating of the headboard against the bedroom wall is the only sound that echoes through the house early the next morning.

"Shhh, John, we'll wake the boys." I warn but one touch from my husband and it was over, my concerns dissipating as I feel the electricity in my skin, hormones shutting down all other thoughts.

"Fuck!" I cry out from the intense, intoxicating passion.

John's release is close behind mine. "No. You'll wake the boys. I love when you swear." He chuckles as he comes down from the high. "I think that was our best yet. You're a madwoman when you're growing one of my kids."

"Behave." I warn but can't keep the smirk off my face, knowing he's right. I kiss his lips before turning into him, resting my head on his chest.

My eyes feel like they've just fluttered closed when there's sharp knocking at the door. "Fuck." John hisses.

"It's not so cute when you do it." I tease, whining when he gets up to look for his underwear and a pair of trousers.

My husband playfully throws my dressing gown at my head. "Cheeky little thing."

"I'm not wearing that." I pout. "Get rid of whoever is out there and we'll go for round two, eh?"

John's lopsided grin lights up his face and he drops his underwear, opting to wear only his trousers while he shoo's away the person calling at our door. "That's my girl." He says, playfully smacking my bare bottom before rushing out of our room.

When my husband returns, his smile is gone. "Later, Love." He answers my unspoken question as he begins to fully dress for the day. "Business down at the pub."

"Will you be late tonight?" I ask, knowing there's no convincing him to stay.

"Not sure." He shrugs. "But take the boys down to Watery Lane once you've finished breakfast. Tommy said something about Polly. It has to do with her son."

"Alright." I agree, standing from our bed to put on my dressing gown. John eyes my naked body, the baby just beginning to distend my lower belly. "I thought you said later?"

He smirks, knowing he's been caught staring. "You're right, duty calls." He crosses the room and helps me tie the robe around my middle, his hands delicately brushing against the growing life inside me.

"Well, you'll make this up to me, yeah?" I smile, straightening his tie and pressing a quick kiss to his still present smirk.

"Aye." He kisses back with a promise. "I'll see you later. I'll check in on you and the boys at Pol's round midday."

My husband, late as usual, bursts through the door at half past two playing pretend with his brothers.

"Get out of town, kid, or I will shoot your fucking head off!" John shouts, interrupting Polly and Michael's heartwarming reunion.

Arthur, always oblivious, continues the fight. "Time's up. Pew!" John then catches sight of me sitting at the table, eyebrows raised and arms crossed but his eldest brother doesn't stop. "You're dead. Go down, John."

It's then that Arthur takes in everyone else in the room. Both men holster their guns with chuckles as Arthur asks Polly for an introduction.

"Gentleman." Tommy takes the lead. "This is your cousin. Polly's son, Michael."

"Pleased to meet you." The young man we haven't seen in years reaches out to first shake Arthur's hand and then my husband's.