Ch.21 Mati

Chapter 21

Maya was left speechless as Heyder stormed out of the room. She heard his door bang shut down the hall as her heart stumbled.

"Maya....." Ali spoke gently.

"I'm fine," Maya took a deep breath.

"It's okay if you're not," Ali said. "He can be a real jerk."

"The biggest," Maya said quietly as she turned around and walked back to the bed. She flopped down beside the tea tray and rubbed her eyes.

The events from the night still had her railing. She didn't understand why she had suddenly lost control like that. Absent mindlessly, Maya reached up to touch her necklace but her hand came up early.

"What?" Ali asked as he heard her gasp.

"My necklace is gone," Maya began to look around the room frantically. She picked up the pillows on the bed and dusted the sheets. "No wonder I went crazy. I lost my necklace!"

"What necklace?" Ali asked in confusion.

"My mom made it for me," Maya said looking on the floor. "It keeps my magic grounded. Where is it?"

"I didn't see it on you last night," Ali shrugged as he got off the chair. "What does it look like?"

"It's silver and has a heart," Maya ran a hand through her hair.

"Wait, wait," Ali stopped her. "Why do you need to wear a necklace to keep your magic grounded."

"Because as a kid I did something I really wasn't supposed to do," My bit down on her bottom lip.

"What was it?" Ali's eyes lit up. "Did you drain someone's soul? Make a deal with the devil? Summon a hell beast?"

"No," Maya shook her head. "I played with Fey magic."

Ali gasped before laughing, "Oh.....so you're crazy crazy."

"I need to find my necklace," Maya frowned. "I can't control when the next episode will be. The last thing I need is to accidentally kill Mrs. Heyder."

"She whines too much," Ali scrunched up his nose.

"Did you see my necklace?"

"No,"

"It must have fallen off when I took my sweater off last night," Maya said as she headed out of the room. She rushed downstairs with Ali at her heels.

Heyder and Fiza looked up as Maya stormed into the kitchen with her eyes glued on the floor. She scanned the surface as she held her hair back with her hand. Ali moved around with her and picked up her sweater from where it was placed on the stool.

"Not here," he said, shaking it out.

"Shit," Maya mumbled as she pulled the door open and ran out.

"Maya!" Ali went after her. "Put on a coat."

"What is she doing?" Heyder asked, getting out of his seat and walking out the door.

"She lost her necklace," Ali said as he pulled off the flannel shirt he was wearing on top of his sweater and rushed out.

Heyder stood still on the back porch as he watched his best friend transport to the spot beside Maya. She was kneeling on the ground digging around the snow angel she had created the night before. Ali placed the flannel over her shoulders and began digging with her. Heyder was about to go over when Fiza stepped out of the house.

"It was stuck on her sweater," she said as she placed the silver necklace in Heyder's hand.

Heyder looked down at the little trinket and closed his palm over it. He opened his link to Ali and called them back. Maya looked over her shoulder at the jinn standing at the porch. She felt Ali pull her up to her feet and whooshed her through the air in seconds.