14

Kitty's p.o.v

*Court day*

"Are you sure you're good to watch Jay? I don't know when I'll get out, and she's your baby too now, don't you want to be there?" I asked Chris as I put in my other earring. At this rate, I was going to burst into the courtroom exactly on time.

"Of course I want to be there, but that's the last place Jaylee needs to be. You'll just have to give me a detailed description of everything that happens."

"Lucky me." He let out a low laugh, walking over to wrap his arms around me.

"Good luck in there today toots. I love you." There they are again, those three pesky words that I just can't seem to say.

"Thanks boss." I didn't miss the small clench in Chris' jaw, or the way his eyes tightened when I didn't say it back, but despite all that he still kissed me like nothing was wrong and smiled when I walked out the door. What a man.

The drive was filled with low music and me tapping my fingers anxiously on the steering wheel. While I was super thankful that Chris was willing to stay back with Lee, I was kind of hoping he'd come to support me. He'd become somewhat of an anchor for me over the past couple months of us being together, and had curved many of my anxiety attacks.

Despite my best efforts, Cason was the first thing I laid eyes on when I walked through the doors into the courtroom. His dark hair, hazel eyes, and tanned skinned invading my mind with memory after memory. When we met, when we kissed, when we fucked, when he drugged me up, when he threw me under the bus. At the top of the list though was the memory of him kicking me off his porch in disgust after I told him I was pregnant with his child, the one that he's fighting for now.

I'd heard through the grapevine that the lawyer he'd hired was a force to be reckoned with, always developing solid cases in her clients defense, but I was really hoping with Chris getting legal rights it would be much harder for her. Throughout the hearing I could feel Cason's eyes on me, the feeling alone making me want to take a shower to wash off the slime.

There was no denying that he was a good looking guy. His hair was such a dark brown it could pass for black, and was always styled to perfection. It didn't matter if he had it short and in the most amazing quiff you'd ever see, or if it was long, shiny, and healthy just the slightest curl at the end of it, he was going to look amazing. His hazel eyes penetrated right through you, his plump lips which were almost always set in that cocky smirk were sure to get you thinking about him. He never partook in anything harder than weed so he was very fit, a nice six pack and chiseled arms. In other words, he wasn't hurting for looks.

It wasn't until now that I noticed that for everything Cason was, Chris was basically the exact opposite. Light versus dark, giving versus taking... love versus lust. Cason was everything I hated about myself, where Chris brought out everything I liked about myself. He brought out the good in me, made me want to be better.

"Miss Hughes, what do your current living arrangements look like?" I gulped before answering the judges question, my system buzzing with nervous energy.

"Um, my boyfriend and I live together in a loft apartment. It has three bedrooms and two bathrooms, a living/dining area and a nice kitchen." She nodded and took notes, making me that much more nervous.

"What about your job situation?"

"Well, I have a full time job teaching at a dance studio in Sudbury, Massachusetts, ma'am." It almost looked like she didn't like that answer, but judges are always so hard to read.

"Is it true that your boyfriend, a Mr. Christopher Evans, has recently gained legal guardianship of the child in question?"

"Yes ma'am."