Chapter Fourteen

"Volleyball tryouts on Monday. Are you gone try out with me?" Namiko asked as she sat in the fluffy bean bag in the corner of Ember's room.

Ember shook her head, "You know that I'm terrible at sports."

"Me too but I have to get into something after school so I won't be home with my trifling ass dad. Besides, they letting anybody on the team. Not many girls want to play volleyball at school, they too busy trying to be these funky ass cheerleaders." Namiko said.

"Why they got to be all that?" Ember asked.

"Because Madison lame ass quit track and now she on the cheerleading team. You know them cheerleaders stick together and anybody that's cool with Madison a funky ass hoe, simple."

Ember giggled, "I guess. Volleyball don't seem too bad. I'll try out with you."

"See, that's why you're my best friend." Namiko said.

"Mhm."

"So are we just gonna sit here all day? It's Saturday. Let's go to the park. I know there's a basketball game going or something. It be some cute boys out there." Namiko said.

"I got to ask my mama. I know she gone send Damien with us." Ember said.

Namiko rolled her eyes, "Damien needs to stay home. He be ruining the fun with all that attitude."

"Tell me about it. I'll be back. I'm going to ask my mom." Ember left the room, leaving Namiko alone.

Traveling down the hall to her mothers room, Ember stopped once she reached the guest room. The sounds that were coming from the bedroom were making her sick to her stomach. She had no clue how he managed to sneak a girl up in his room. Ember continued down the hall to her parents room where Justin laid across the foot of the bed while her mother sat up with her back against the headboard looking through a magazine.

"Mom, can I go to the park with Namiko?" Ember asked.

"You know you're supposed to be on punishment."

"Dad has already taken my phone, my tv and my laptop. The only thing I have to do is sit in my room all day and stare at walls. Can I least go to the park or something?"

Sahara looked up at her daughter for a second, "Better not be going to meet no boys. Be back before dark."

Ember smiled as she made her way back to her room.

"Well?" Namiko asked.

"We can go, just can't be out there all night." Ember said as she put on her sandals.

"Oh thank God." Namiko said with relief.

Since Namiko didn't want to walk, she drove her car to the park.

It was Saturday so the park was the go to hang out spot and it was crowded. Boys were playing basketball and just a few feet away, more boys were playing football. Somewhere on the other side of the park, there was a volleyball game going on. Since Namiko knew it was a girl's game, she didn't want to go on that side.

Namiko and Ember sat on the sidelines watching them play.

"Cameron is so cute." Namiko said.

"Who's Cameron?" Ember asked.

"How do you not know who Cameron is? He doesn't go to our school anymore. He's in college now and plays football."

"Oh." Ember says uninterested. She could see Malik and Trevor out on the court but not Adonis. He wasn't there.

"Ember why do you seem depressed?"

Ember looked over at Namiko, "What do you mean? I'm not depressed."