Chapter 18

"She's awake" The voice was distant and fuzzy as I woke up. My vision blurred momentarily, the blinding white fluorescent lights burning my eyes.

Slowly opening my eyes, I woke up to Marcus holding my hand while resting his head on the bed. I scanned the room and frowned in confusion. 

I was on a hospital bed and a nurse was squealing in delight as I opened my eyes. I tried to get up but leaned back again as I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

I glanced over to Marcus as he stirred slightly but he didn't wake up.

"What happened?" I asked, rubbing my eyes to clear my vision.

" You were hit on the head. You have been in a coma for the past two days and Mr. Anderson has been furious with the hospital. We are thankful that you finally woke up. I thought that I was going to lose my job" she touched her chest and exhaled dramatically.

"He has been here?" I stroked Marcus's hand with my fingers as he stirred again.

"Oh he hasn't left your side since he brought you here. He has been here all this time worrying about you"

Her words surprised me. He was worried? Didn't he tell me to get out of his life?

"Well I'm gonna get the doctor now " she clapped her hands giving a huge grin and ran out the door.

"Marcus" I whispered. 

He opened his eyes ever so slightly and squinted at the light. He leaned back as his vision cleared.

He blinked a few times in shock after seeing me awake.

"Oh my god Camilla are you okay? Do you need anything? " He quickly stood up and  cupped my face in his hands.

Utterly dumbfounded weren't the right words to explain how I was feeling at that moment. I pinched myself to check whether I was dreaming.

"Um can I have a glass of water?" I asked him, still in shock.

"Oh sure, here"

He helped me sit up as I drank the water. His hand was still holding my shoulder, steadying me. I leaned into his touch slightly,  feeling comfortable after a long time.

My head started throbbing in pain again. I touched my forehead only to feel a bandage wrapped around it.

"I'm so sorry, it was all my fault. I shouldn't have let you go. I was foolish enough to think that you would be safe if I let you go" Marcus said hesitantly  looking down.

"Who was that man?" I asked as I recalled the memories of that night.

"We are still looking into it. I have many enemies and he must be one of them. I'm sorry that you had to go though this"

I nodded my head , accepting his apology. I couldn't comprehend what to say and what not to say. I had many questions which I knew he wouldn't be willing to answer. He was a box full of secrets which I had to unravel slowly. Someday, I wished that he would open up to me willingly, that he would trust me.

"I want you to come back with me" I looked at him to see his eyes pleading.

"Marcus, just a few weeks ago you told me to leave. Just because a man attacked me doesn't mean you have to force yourself to let me back in. Don't do anything that you don't want to do."

He sighed loudly and looked at me with those green eyes which compelled me to do what he told.

" I'm sorry I said those things to you. I didn't mean it, really. I said that so that I could protect you.  And I was wrong. Please give me a chance."