Chapter IX.

A cursed ring that can make your wish come true. Hidden in the training field of Duke Elan's mansion. That's all I remembered, & also that I really wanted that, whatever it was like.

   The fact that I can't remember anything else meant that it had little to do with the whole story, but... at the same time, when I remembered that thing, it also came to my mind that I wanted it. For some reason, I wanted it though I really had no wish in mind. I just wanted it.

   And, it's already been three months, but I still haven't been able to find whatever that is. It's already September 5th now, & brother went back to his academy 2 weeks ago. Considering that he set out early, the academy must be really far, or something. 

   Except that, nothing much notable happened at all. Not that I want anything to happen, I'm just fine resting like this- without a having a thing to do.

   'Miss, are you just going to keep laying on your bed like yesterday? And the day before? And also the day before?' Sally asked with a disheartened tone, & my answer was indistinct hum. 

  Besides, I was doing something very important; I was trying to remember anything important, screw that- even a bit of information about that ring would suffice.

   'What is it?' I asked- usually she wouldn't come in here, especially when my mood was bad like this, unless she was here to bring me meal.

  However, it was past breakfast time, & I already told her I won't be eating breakfast since I didn't feel hungry. The reason they left me alone was because they thought I was upset that brother left, & it wasn't less than hundred times they asked whether I will write to brother. I refused every time they asked, so unless they have a brain of a goldfish, she wasn't here to ask if I will be writing to my brother.

   'Miss... there was an invitation to a birthday party addressed to you.'

'I'm not going,' I answered, & closed my eyes; 'I mean, I did say that miss wouldn't go, but the Viscount White's daughter kept insisting-'

  'Viscount White?' I jolted up from the bed, & Sally's shocked face came into view; 'Yes. The Viscount's daughter personally wanted to hand you the invitation to her-'

   'She's here, right now? Selene White? A beau with long silvery white hair, jade white skin & crescent gray eyes?' 

   'Uh... yes, that... sounds exactly like the girl.'

In my panicked state, I used the definition the novel used to describe her because I didn't know how to myself. 

   I helped myself up from the bed, & walked past Sally; 'Ah-wait-miss! You're still wearing your nightgown!!'

                                    ...

'Lady Elan,' Selene stands up from the couch as she sees me rushing into the parlor; 'Selene,' I unconsciously call her casually, making her face blush.

   'Ah, then... Phoen...' her voice goes too quiet for me to hear as she mumbles the last part inaudibly as she stared down at the floor.

   'Yeah... lady White, you're inviting me to your birthday party?' I asked- she seemed kind of embarrassed that I went back to being formal but I was too distracted to notice that. 

   'Um... I'm not trying to be rude but... I wanted to thank you for helping me back there,' she said with a nervous tone of voice; 'I see.'

   I held out my hand, & smiled at her; finally. Yes, now I remember.

'When is your birthday party coming up, Selene?'

   'Ah... lady...!' her face reddened, & she smiled in joy after few moments of silence.

Where that ring is, I remember now.

A/N; she rarely smiles- so imagine an angel with red eyes smiling at you, with sunlight coming from behind her, & carve that image into your brain because you might as well never see (read) her smiling again.