| ii: best buddies |

"If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavour

"If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavour." - Eleanor Roosevelt

" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Present Day

New Delhi, India

I was typing furiously on my laptop. I absolutely had no idea what was going on around me. Everything was just blank as my focus was entirely on the screen in front of me. The work pressure had really eaten me up. I was writing a report which had to be emailed immediately to my boss. After finishing it, I called him.

"Sir, I rechecked the reports of the post-mortem. You were right. The cause of death was not due to heavy bleeding from a knife wound. The actual cause is cyanide poisoning. After retesting the murder weapon in the lab, I found traces of cyanide on the weapon, which immediately killed the victim," I said, reading the details from the report.

"Did you trace the culprit?" my boss asked.

"Yes, I did. He is on the outskirts of Udaipur city, in a remote village called Jalgaon. He is probably in disguise. This was the last location I could trace before the signal went off. I have already sent you an app which will direct you to the village."

"Good job, Akanksha!"

"Thank you, Sir!" I beamed with pride.

"Come on, dear! What's with this Sir thing? There's no need to call me that, okay?"

"Yes, Dad!" I smiled, hanging up.

Dad. That's what I had been calling him for seven years. Yes, the boss was none other than my dear father-in-law, Mr. Vikram Singh Chauhan. After my wedding, the Chauhans had embraced me like their own daughter. Their love for me was genuine.

They never made me feel that I was different from them. After Vihaan left me that night, they had become more protective and loving towards me. Their love for me increased even more over time. They never justified Vihaan's actions. I knew they were already feeling guilty for forcing their son into it.

They never troubled me for anything. They respected my choices and supported me in each and every decision I had made for myself. I loved them all; they were my pillars of strength.