17 - B E A U T Y

The bitter bite of winter had settled in, causing darker nights and colder days

The bitter bite of winter had settled in, causing darker nights and colder days. The sun had already begun to set, throwing blues and greys around the sky like a new canvas. Charlie threw his car into park in front of the house's driveway, blocking in a couple of others. I bit my lip but didn't question it.

He reached over me and opened the glove box, grabbing most of the packets before stuffing them into the pockets of his corduroy jacket. Charlie turned to leave before sighing.

"Don't get into too much trouble."

He slammed the door shut and the gust of wind whipped my face. I turned my head to the window and watched his retreating figure as he walked further into the raging party. This must have been exclusively city kids, or maybe just Easton boys. I hadn't received an invite either way.

People were in the front garden, dancing and drinking. Screaming and laughing. The car window felt like a barrier between me and that. I recognised most of them but I didn't want them to see me like this. I wouldn't have been able to paint on a smile, it felt like a magnet was pulling my lips down.

"Are we going inside?" A voice asked. Kingsley.

He was sitting in the back, his head poked through the two front seats with a cheeky grin.

"No, I'd better stay here," I answered absentmindedly.

Kingsley scoffed. "Are you serious? There's a party going on literally right there."

I turned to him and pulled out the clips that Arlo had used earlier to pin my hair back. The strands sprung to life and fell in front of my face. "I don't know, Kingsley. There are only a few hours left until Death gets back. I want to be ready."

He stayed silent and stared at my face, searching it before heaving out a sigh. He brought his legs up over the middle console and climbed into the driver's seat, elbowing me and pressing buttons on his way.

I giggled as he purposefully fell into my lap before pushing himself off and cranking the radio up with a smirk. The car began to cry out in alarm and Kingsley opened and slammed the door shut loudly.

The people on the lawn looked at us weirdly and my cheeks flushed upon realising that they'd only be able to see me amid the mess.

"Stop," I said through laughs, a grin fell onto my lips.

He stopped everything; turning the radio off, shutting the doors and silencing the car. It left me out of breath with nerves but biting my lip to stop the smile. He met my eyes with a boyish grin.

"Let's go inside, Quin. We have plenty of time before Death arrives and it'll be fun. Not sure if you've ever been to one of these parties before but they're different from your average one." He looked out to the house that boomed with music and energy. Lights strobed from the inside and the bright colours escaped through the many windows, guiding the path to inside.