Chapter 21

When Xiang ChangKong arrived home, it was almost 2:00 a.m. in the morning. He usually worked at night, but he had never come home so late before. He was worried about his mother.

Fortunately, his mother usually went to bed early, way before Xiang ChangKong usually came home. So maybe, she wouldn't even notice that he had come back late today.

The house was so quiet he could hear his own breath. Xiang ChangKong didn't turn on the lights and only looked towards his mother's door before tiptoeing into his room.

Turning on the small lamp in his room, Xiang ChangKong took out the paper plane Xu Lian gave him. The white paper had been refolded back into a plane. After staring at it for a while, Xiang ChangKong placed it on his desk, beside the wooden plane.

The wooden plane was given to him on his fifteenth birthday, made by his own father. He had just entered high school and decided to study the same thing his father did. To encourage Xiang ChangKong, his father made this plane for him.

Xiang ChangKong had kept this small handmade representation of his father's hopes and dreams for him all this time.

"When it comes to things you really want to do, you shouldn't give up so easily."

What Xu Lian had said to him echoes in his ears. He looked at the white paper plane on his desk and slowly smiled.

Uncle Hou also told him that he shouldn't give up like this, didn't he?

Xiang ChangKong turned his computer on and clicked on the application page for post-graduates in the First Aircraft Research Institute.

It was October 31 right now. The last day for registering.

Xiang ChangKong stared at the application form for a while. Then, slowly, he typed his information and clicked submit.

'Congratulations, you've signed up.'

After submitting the form, a dialogue box popped up on the screen. Xiang ChangKong's hand was still on the mouse, unmoving.

Xiang ChangKong could hear his heart beating loudly.

He had finally signed up.

After turning off his computer, Xiang ChangKong fell to his bed.

The next morning, when Weng ShuLi got up, Xiang ChangKong had already prepared breakfast. She wore her slippers and walked towards the kitchen. Standing by the doorframe, she watched Xiang ChangKong plating up some dishes. He turned around, noticed her, and smiled. "Good morning, mom. Breakfast will be ready in a minute, go and wash up first."

Weng ShuLi stared at him, no expression on her face. This made people unable to tell what she was thinking.

"Is there something I can do for you?" Xiang ChangKong asked.

Weng ShuLi didn't answer. She simply turned and walked away. Xiang ChangKong breathed out and continued plating.

Today he was on the day shift, so after eating breakfast, he got ready to leave for work. When he left, he brought an insulated lunch box with him. Weng ShuLi looked at the lunchbox, but ultimately didn't seem to care.

"Mom, I made lunch, just heat it up later. I'm going to work now." After calling this out, Xiang ChangKong opened the front door and left. Weng ShuLi stared at the closed front door for a very long time.

Xiang ChangKong continued to be busy, receiving orders throughout the day. At 11:00 a.m., he received an order to be sent to Starlight Park. He decided to visit Xu Lian's store on the way.

Around this time was usually when Zhang GuoEr would start pestering Xu Lian to order takeout. Because Xu Lian had bought her a meal from one of the restaurants in Starlight Park before, Zhang GuoEr's tastebuds have become a little choosy. She even started looking down on the Wolong Kitchen they often ordered from before.