XVIII. Underway

Lena and Jace were locked back in their respective cells. After the guard left the dungeon, only then were words spoken.
"What is Dai doing here?!?" Jace exclaimed.
"Shhh!" Lena shushed, pointing to the door.
"Right..." Jace said, more quietly, "But, for real."
"I know," Lena said, "It seems Dai has infiltrated their ranks. How, though, I have no idea."
"You think he did it to break us out?" Jace asked.
"Oh, no doubt," Lena replied, "Though, that conversation with their leader just now tells me they already suspect him."
"Yeah," Jace agreed, "...You think they'll figure out his plan?"
"Dai would be careful," Lena said, "You know that as well as I do."
Jace just looked at the floor.
"I hope he breaks us out," Jace said.
"Me too," Lena agreed, "If he could just get with Millicent... we might have a chance of escaping."
"I wish we could do something," Jace sighed.
Lena leaned against the wall, crossing her arms annoyedly.

"Me too."

❄️

Aria and Luke waited outside a small apartment complex on the far side of Nagahama, wearing their coats with the hoods up.
"Aren't they done in there?" Luke complained from where he leaned against the wall.
"What we're asking of them is huge," Aria said, "We're asking them to help us take down a secret power controlling their city for the past twenty years."
"Yeah, but wouldn't they already be on board with that?" Luke asked, "I know I would."
Aria looked at Luke, then came over to him.
"These people have lived in fear of this ice guild for years," Aria said, "We only learned of them, like, yesterday. It'd be a huge deal for them. They'd be putting their lives on the line for their home, while we're just risking ours to save our friends..."
She looked at the ground, a deep concern in her eyes.
Luke noticed her worried expression and looked closely at her.
"You're scared we won't be able to pull this off, aren't you?" he asked.

Aria looked down the street, catching sight of some Gifted children playing catch with a sphere of ice in the street.
"Luke... this is bigger than anything I've done in my life," she said, "It feels bigger than what happened with The Bolt... I mean... we're planning to stage a resistance to take down a mercenary guild."
She held her arms, shivering in the cold.
"I've never seen myself playing rebellion with an empire, you know?" she admitted, "Actual lives are at stake here..."
"Lives were at stake with The Bolt," Luke reminded.
"I know... but this time it feels... different," Aria said, "People are trying to kill us purposefully... it's scary."
"No one will hurt you," Luke said, "Not while I'm around."
Aria looked up at him, red filling her cheeks.
Luke paused, then realized exactly what he said, his own cheeks turning red.
"I-I mean, 'cause... you know, you're my friend and I care about my friends... you know?" he stammered.
Aria blinked, then chuckled.

"Thanks, Luke," she smiled.
Luke looked at her, still slightly bewildered.
"S-Sure," he said, letting out a chuckle.
The door to the apartment complex then opened, and Suzuki and Kiyama exited with two women.
"They have agreed to work with us," Kiyama said.
Luke and Aria just grinned at them.

❄️

At the police station, the warriors were already clearing away the rubble.
Nylas Leroy oversaw the operation, annoyed.
He then felt his phone buzzing in his coat pocket. He pulled it out and answered.
"Father, what can I do for you?" he asked.
"'What can I do for you?'" Enzo repeated on the other end, "Always ready for new orders, I see."
"Always, Father," Nylas said, "Besides, you usually don't call unless you need something."
"Well, as it happens, you are correct," Enzo said, "It's about that group of insurgents that attacked your station last night."
Nylas groaned as he headed over to the stairwell door, going through it and standing in the stairwell for privacy.

"What about them?" Nylas asked, "They already did a number on our building."
"Find them," Enzo ordered.
Nylas blinked, "I beg your pardon, Father?"
"I have encountered an interesting conundrum up here at the temple," Enzo said, "I need you to locate those insurgents. Specifically; the children."
"Why the children? Wouldn't Bushida be the priority?"
"I appreciate that you'd think so, my son. It shows I have raised you well. But this time, the children are the priority. One in particular."
"Which one?"
"The fire Gifted male."
Nylas' eyes narrowed.
"May I ask why him?"
"You'll see in time," Enzo said, "I need to check something regarding this conundrum, and that boy is the key. Capture him, I need him alive. Do whatever you want with the rest."
Nylas paused.
"Do you want me to undertake this... alone?" he asked.
"Of course not," Enzo answered, "You and I both know that until we can find a way to get you an ice Gift, you need to rely on your warriors."
Nylas looked at the floor, sighing, "Yes, Father."
"Set up patrols," Enzo continued, "Find those children and capture the fire Gifted, at any cost."
"Yes, Father," Nylas said, "What about your other prisoners?"
"Oh, their ransom letters are nearly finished," Enzo chuckled, "We have located the boy's family. The girl is a work in progress... she seems to have no familial background according to Millicent. Nonetheless, her letter shall be compiled."
"I see," Nylas said, "I will have the fire Gifted boy captured, Father. I promise."
"Good," Enzo smiled, "Now, I have business to attend to. Best of luck, my son."
"Thank you, Father," Nylas said, hanging up the phone.

Enzo hung up his phone, and crossed his arms as he returned his attention to what lay before him.
They were in the armory room, and Dai stood in the center of the balcony section outside. He had his arms up, for he was keeping an ice shelter he had made around himself stable to keep the massive black ice cube sitting on top of the shelter from smashing through it and falling on him.
Sweat beaded down Dai's cheeks as he struggled to keep the roof of his crudely made shelter from cracking under the weight of the cube.

"Remember, Dai," Enzo smiled, "Keep this up for another thirty minutes, and you'll have earned my trust."
Dai just glared at him, the strain from continuously feeding power to the shelter costing him.

Millicent then entered the room, standing next to Leroy.
Her face momentarily made a horrified expression, before switching to a complacent one upon Enzo addressing her.
"Millicent," he said, "Good, you're here."
"What can I do for you, Master?" she asked.
"Interrogate our prisoners further," he said, "Show them the footage of the insurgents attacking the police station. See if they know them."
"Very well," Millicent bowed her head, "May I ask why?"

Enzo turned and looked her straight in the eye.
"I have a feeling our prisoners will have a few more attempted escapes with the help of more outsiders," he said, a chilling tone in his voice.