36.

"Are you okay ?" Haider asked entering Meera's chamber.

"I..I'm fine." Meera said, she sat on the bed, her hands fisted on her side as she stared into space.

"You know I'm the reason behind what happened today, she is in that state because of me."

"Meera are you crazy." Haider said pulling the kurta over his head as he walked towards her.

"Why would you blame yourself over something you had no control over." He said kneeling in front of her and taking her hands in his.

"I came in between Haider, she loves you, she has loved you since before truly understanding what love was."

Haider snapped at her words, he stood up and walked towards the bathroom.

"Why don't you give away your husband to her then, since she clearly loves me." He said and walked inside slamming the door behind him.

"How could I when I love you as well." Meera whispered.

.
.
.

When she woke up the next day, the other half of the bed was cold and empty.

Haider hadn't utter a word or acknowledged her after her statement yesterday.
'Was she with me because she was obligated to be.'
'Had I guilt tripped her into accepting this new relationship.'
'Did she feel responsible to repay me for what her father had done ? Was she only here to pay for his deeds ?'

He couldn't sleep a wink the entire night, he tossed and turned, he watched her next to him sleeping so unaware of the world.

It was an hour before dawn broke, Haider picked himself from the bed and walked out of Meera's chamber for sehri, leaving her alone.

Meera felt confused, never had Haider left her to wake up to an empty room all alone. Even if there was an emergency he always woke her up before he left.
Waking up in an empty room, without him, without his presence had made her heart heavy and made a chill run down her body, she felt alone and abandoned.

Meera proceeded with her day with a heavy heart and an unknown inkling in her belly, was it waking up to an empty bed or her sixth sense pointing her out about the difficulties to come.

Meera was sitting with her companions in the Royal garden, winters had come to an end, the warm rays of the sun hit her face and chirping birds made her heavy heart a little lighter.

"I feel so sad, it's the last roza for the year." Hania pouted.

"Me too, I mean it's difficult but the jaza for this small sacrifice makes it worth it." Jamila said.

"I can't imagine being hungry and thirsty for an entire month, I'd die." Avantika signed.

"Lucky you then." Hania said sticking her tongue out at Avantika.

Meera watched this friendly banter and smiled at them. She had grown fond of these girls so soon, now a day without their presence felt impossible.

"Avantika have you told Malika about your date today ?" Hania said with a sly smile.

"Hmm what date ?" Meera asked pulling Avantika's leg.

"It's nothing didi."

"Really ? Well then why were you fretting about your clothes, I mean if it's just lunch then-."

"Shut up Hania." Avantika hissed, her cheeks had flushed.

"Haan haan jao bibi, yaha hum bhooke honge, aur waha humari jaan apni jaan ke saath dawato par mohabatt ke do bol -."