CHAPTER SIX

A/N- New update.
Enjoy 🥂
Thanks so much for the 200 reads!🥰

"I come bearing gifts and an apology." I heard a voice say in my room. I rubbed my eyes groggily as the sleep cleared slowly from my eyes. It seems I fell asleep crying as I recounted my experience two months ago when I was told I had brain cancer. I saw that it was Mason and let me tell you I am really surprised.

"What are you doing here?" I asked looking really puzzled. I mean he's supposed to be mad at me and all after the whole drama I pulled after school. I'll be mad if it were me.

Mason sighed, "I wanted to apologize for today. I'm sorry for pushing to be my partner when you clearly didn't want to. I don't want this to cause a rift between us and if it'll make you feel better, I'll request for a change of partner tomorrow. When Mrs Levinson see we both don't want to be partners, maybe she'll consider and..."  I interrupted him by throwing my hands around his back, thereby pulling him into a tight hug.

Mason's body became rigid when I hugged him, but he soon relaxed. I think he was really surprised about the hug. "If I had known that'll make you happy as you are right now, I would have come as soon as I came back from school. Rather than waiting till ten p.m"
I shook my head vehemently, "That's not why I'm happy. I'm just so glad to see you here. I thought you'll be mad at me for what I said this afternoon, I'm super sorry for being such a fool and saying what I said to you. I totally didn't mean it." I sniffed, as I tried to keep the tears at bay.

While I was asleep, I don't know if what I had was a dream or a flashback. In that dream or whatever it was, I was having a conversation with Mrs Levinson but rather than the one I had in her office, we were in a hospital. I was on the bed with lots of plugs connected to me, and it seemed that Mrs Levinson came to visit. 'Now you're leaving this world, I'll like to ask you a question. What's your greatest regret Hailey?'

With tears in my eyes, I responded sadly 'Pushing Mason away and not doing the project with him.' Mrs Levinson shook her head sadly and turned to leave, "I told you you'll regret it. You had a chance at life and you blew it. The one person who would have been there for you, hell be damned, yet what did you do? You pushed him away. I asked you that day if you were truly happy? Well, now I can see the answer. You're here alone in the hospital, except your grieving family outside and me, do you see anyone here with you? Of course not. You can't see anyone here 'cause you pushed everyone away.' She said, smiling menacingly.

This wasn't the Mrs Levinson I knew. The Mrs Levinson I knew would be sympathetic and not this mean to me. 'Get out of my room! Get out! I don't want to see your face.' I yelled with tears streaming down my cheeks, the machines were whirring signifying that right now I was stressing myself so much.

Mrs Levinson smirked, "You're throwing me out?" She gasped as she laughed maniacally, "I don't think you are in a position to to do that. I mean you are dying and yet you don't have a single friend here. I've you looked around the hospital, you are the only one who's without a friend to mourn them. Even people on the streets have their fellow street people to mourn them. But who do you have?  No one. I'm the only one who isn't your family that's here, so I don't think you should be throwing me out. But I'll go, after all I've overstayed my welcome. You are pushing me out pretty much like how you pushed everyone out of your life." She started walking to the door, then she stopped and turned back, "Do you want to know what living a long life actually is? It's not how many years you spend on earth, it's actually how well you spent your time on earth. So I ask you, Did you live your life well?" With that question, she left the room.

I can remember how I felt like turning the hands of time in that dream or whatever it was 'cause I knew I had a lot of regrets. So because of that dream, I decided I didn't want my greatest regret to be what if? Maybe if I did?