chapter nineteen

Emily

After a long and absolutely horrid hour and a half drive, the taxi driver finally pulled into my parents driveway. 

I had spent the first half hour of the car ride trying to start up conversation with the driver. But he had kept every answer to my question at least 3 words. And after I had tried to talk to him for the millionth time he ended up turning the radio on extremely loud and put on some Spanish station to drain out my words. 

And after the next half an hour of having to listen to the non stop Spanish talking and singing, I asked the rude driver if he could change the station. He then proceeded to yell at me and told me it was his car and we follow by his rules.

So finally after another half hour, I was able to leave the extremely rude and boring man to his car and his rules. I made sure to leave him no tip and I quickly snatched my bags from beside me, making sure to be careful with the one full of food and the one full of gifts.

I left his car with a huff and slammed the door on my way out, only to open it again quickly and peek my head in the car.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to slam it that hard. And-"

"Go now" He said rudely in his Spanish accent, suddenly making me mad again.

"Go now" I mocked him, this time slamming his door hard on purpose.

I stomped my way up the driveway as his tires screeched on his way out.

As soon as I'd knocked the door was flung open and I was met with a happy looking Mum.

"Emily" She chirped as she pulled me into her warm embrace, causing the anger inside turn to content. I was instantly able to smell her familiar perfume that she'd been wearing since I was a kid.

"Hi Mum" I responded with a smile. She pulled away and gave my cheek a quick kiss.

"How have you been sweetie" She asked as we began walking down the hall.

"I've been ok. The business should start up any time soon and it's honestly been a bit stressful. There have been so many people applying for a job there and a lot of them seem amazing. It's just so hard to choose" I told her.

"Well I'm sure you and Molly can work it out together. I'm so proud of you the two of you" She said with a big smile as we walked into the living room

"I'm proud of us too" I said with the same smile. She sat down on the couch but I stayed standing. "Where's Dad?"

"He's in the kitchen, cooking up our some stuff for Christmas tomorrow" I nodded in response and began making my way into the kitchen.

Like Mum said, Dad was in here, happily rushing around the kitchen and cooking multiple different things at a time. 

It was clear who I'd inherited my love for cooking from. 

I stood there admiring him as he worked, still going unnoticed. Just like me, Dad would get lost in his own world whenever he started cooking. 

His head shot up to me as he began rushing back to whatever was on the stove. His face pulled into a smile just as big as Mum's had.

"How's my girl?" He asked as he came over and wrapped me into his familiar embrace.

"Pretty good" I responded as he gave my back a soothing rub. "How are you?" I asked him as we pulled away.

"Busy as you can see. I've started on tomorrow's big Christmas lunch. I've already stuffed the turkey. I've made a pavlova. And now I'm in the middle of making a pudding" He told me proudly.