Chapter 17

"We are deeply sorry! Please accept our humblest apology!" The restaurant manager respectfully bowed to Hitomi, shaking in his boots as he didn't dare to look her in the eye. She could see the rivulets of sweat rolling down the back of his neck as he bowed his head low. It was even further than the standard ninety-degree bow. If he went any lower, he might even hurt his spine.

His other employees looked on in worry and confusion, wondering why he was so fearful of such a young girl. If they didn't know better, she looked like she could have just been another waitress. They, however, quickly bowed along when they were glared at by their manager.

Even Hitomi was a bit taken aback. She had only come in here to ask for them to prepare her and Nishinoya's meal to go, but it appears she has caused a misunderstanding. She didn't recognize the restaurant manager, but he certainly recognized her.

After some prodding and receiving his business card, Hitomi realized that this café was associated with a few chains connected to her family. By coming to the back room and asking that they package the meals instead, she inadvertently implied that she was dissatisfied with their service.

Of course, dealing with that waiter was less than ideal, but Hitomi wasn't the kind of person to punish an entire establishment for the fault of one worker. In fact, she had expected this kind of thing in any restaurant she went, but it's obvious that the manager wouldn't know or understand that.

She sighed in slight annoyance. It seems as though she was so excited about the food and sweets that she failed to do some more proper research on the establishment. After some thought, this place did seem a little bit more upscale than just a regular, local, mom-and-pop place. Not to mention the prices seemed a little high when she was looking at the menu. Not that she was short of money, but it was something she came to know through experience of her family dealings.

Her small sigh of annoyance and the furrow in her brows caused the manager to jump, his cold sweat worsening. In reality, he had nothing to fear as Hitomi was just frustrated with herself. It wasn't that she wouldn't have come to this café if she knew about its association with her family. Just that she preferred to avoid misunderstandings like this.

She's dealt with certain businesses before on behalf of her father. She didn't mind it, as this is probably the kind of work that she should get used to for the future. She just hated the status that came with it. She hated having to deal with all these people.

The suck-ups. The fakers. The ones that always hid behind a mask.

"As compensation, please do not worry about the cost of your meal! It is completely complimentary!" The manager spluttered out, hoping to salvage the situation.

Ugh. There it is.

The sucking up. The fear in his eyes, and the hope that followed after it. The kind of hope where someone believed they could have something to gain. A scene that could easily turn into an abuse of authority.

Hitomi really hated this.

She didn't like living like this. Being treated like this. She hated the other 'elites' who abused their power on the innocent, and tried her hardest not to act the same.

Of course, she was cold by nature, but not like that. She brushed people off easily for coming on to her but she didn't demean people. Liking someone and treating them with respect were two different things. She tried to give people respect because she knew what it was like to be given none. To be used and then tossed aside right after. To only be considered because there was some sort of merit involved.

The girl sighed again, once more putting fear in the café manager. "There's really no need for that. I just wanted to make your lives easier by ordering our meals as take-out instead since it is rush hour after all. By freeing up a table, you'll have more customer traffic, thus having the opportunity to make more money." She explained, reaching into her bag for her wallet.