More than Just a Pickup Game

"Tell me how you really feel, Em."

Shit.

I close my eyes, preparing myself to turn around and face him, but instead I hear him walk away.

"Damn, Em. That was harsh, even for you... and you dumped me, so that's saying something." Jackson stood up taking his tray to the drop basket.

I had to make a choice: go find Liam, or go to class.

I had 6 minutes until the next bell, and I knew what I had to do. Athletes created their schedules to have all physical activity classes in the afternoon, so I made my way to the gym.

A few guys were walking out of the locker room, and I grabbed the door just before it closed.

You can do this.... you can do this.

I take a long deep breath, and walk into the boys locker room. A few of the guys start to cheer, and swing their towels in the air.

I walk past the first set of lockers, but no Liam.
I walk past the second set of lockers, no Liam.
I walk past the third set of lockers.... no Liam.

I stop and stand in the middle of the room, looking at all of the guys. Some shirtless, some wrapped in a towel, and some dressed in workout clothes.

"What the hell, Jones? Are you lost?" Justin walked over and grabbed my arm pulling me to the side.

"No, I know exactly where I am."

"Then let me rephrase," he situated his body to be between mine and my view of the basketball team, "Why the hell are you in here?"

"I'm looking for someone, so move." I take my finger and dig it into his muscle to move him out of the way, but he doesn't budge.

"No, you need to get out of here." He jerked my arm and pulled me past the third set of lockers towards the door.

"Let go of me!" I attempt to jerk my arm away, but he is still dragging me- now past the second set of lockers.

I use all of my strength to attempt to pull away one more time as we pass the last set of lockers before the door, "LET GO!"

"She said let go, Brooks."

Liam stepped out from behind the second set of lockers. Justin caught his glare, and loosened his grip.

"Now it makes sense," he shoved me hard towards the lockers, "You can have her, 12, she isn't that fun anyways."

Justin slammed the open locker beside him, and threw Liams jersey #12 at his feet before walking into the gym.

"Get out." Liam stared me in the eye to ensure I heard his command, then walked to the showers.

I contemplated going to class, but I was already late- and I came here with a purpose.

"No."

He stopped mid stride to the showers, "Excuse me?"

I took a few steps towards him, "I said No. We need to talk."

He laughed, "the whole We thing," he pointed between us, "that doesn't exist, therefore I don't give a shit what you need to talk about."

Some of the basketball guys were starting to pull their phones out, and I even heard the camera shutter from a few of them, "I'm not leaving until we talk."

He laughed again, "Stay here all night, I don't care- but I have practice to get to." He grabbed a spray bottle from the shelf beside the showers and tossed it in his bag hanging on the wall.

He walked past me, but before he left he said one last thing, "I wish I had never met you too, Emilie..I just have the guts to say it to your face."

I heard a few "burn"s and "oh shit"s as Liam walked out of the locker room.

After school Sarah and I walked into her room and sat down on the bed. She was going on and on about Justin this and Justin that.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom."

She didn't even seem to notice that I was leaving the room. The bathroom door was closed when I got to it, I knew the lock didn't work so I decided to knock first.

There wasn't an answer so I slowly opened the door.

"Is privacy extinct?" Liam was standing in front of the mirror without a shirt on. He quickly pulled a rag up to his rib cage, but it wasn't quick enough.

"Oh my god." I ripped the rag away from him exposing a fresh bruise.

He pulled a shirt on over his head, "None of your business."

I block his exit, "What happened?"

"I said it's none of your business, you don't care anymore, remember?"

I dropped my head, "That's not true..."

He slowly nodded his head, "Yeah, okay."

I reached out to touch him, but he dodged it, "Just let me take a look at it, I used to spend my days with the base nurses."

He hesistates, but lifts his shirt to show the bruise.

I gently touch, and he jerks away, "It's really fine."

"What happened?"

"I don't look near as bad as the other guy, trust me." He smirked, and I saw the Liam I knew.

"And who is the other guy?" I crossed my arms.

"Oh, you will find out." And with that, he picked me up and moved me out of the way.

I was washing my hands when Sarah bust into the bathroom, "We gotta go!" She spread lip gloss across her lips and pulled me down the stairs.

The court was full of students from our school, yet I caught myself looking for Liam. His Jeep wasn't in the parking lot, but I knew he would be here.

"What the hell?" Sarah snapped me out of my daydream as she ran over to Justin. As we got closer, I saw the bruise on his jaw- and it clicked.

"What happened?" I pointed to his jaw, but he ignored the question and kissed Sarah. She shown concern and asked the same question I did.

Jackson joined us a few seconds later, he wasn't near concerned as Sarah, "Did you get into another fight?"

"No."

Jackson laughed, "Looks like it."

Justin clenched his jaw but immediately flinched in pain, "It was a misunderstanding."

As if on que, Liams Jeep pulls up to the edge of the bleachers, and he hops out with bag in hand.

"Are you all going to just stand around or are you boys going to ball up and play?" He twirled the basketball on his finger.

If I was correct about these two, this would be much more than just a pickup game...