Chapter 17

Seventeen
☢☢☢

[ Lola's POV ]

On a Tuesday morning, I met Drew in the campus before class, outside his department, Economics. Lately, we hadn't been seeing each other as often as we used to. We ran into each other a few times in the hallways and we'd only just say hi, exchange a casual word or two and go on our own ways. It wouldn't surprise a soul if anyone finds out he hated the fact that I was with Jay now. He said nothing when I told him but ever since, he hadn't been the same towards me. He started behaving like a very different person. And every time we ran into each other, he held bitterness in his eyes like he didn't want to see me anymore.

Have I lost my best friend?

"Why don't we have lunch together today? It's been so long." I smiled at him like I always would. He would always love the idea and smile back at me but here, he didn't. He nodded like it was something he had no time for but obliged to go with.

"Okay. Sure."

Regardless, he was my best friend (or at least he had been) and I didn't want to lose him either. Whether he liked it or not, I was determined to give us another chance to try and get us back to where we were, just like good ol' times.

"I'll see you later then," he said and left right after, racing down the walkway towards his new girlfriend, Zoey, a freshman with soft blonde hair and standing an inch taller than me. She had the bust and the ass that Drew very much liked to grab in front of my eyes. As usual, he took her in his arms and kissed her like they would bang right in the middle of the lawn. This wasn't the first time I had seen them snog like that. It happened very often in front of me. I left and went to my own classes.

I knew Drew enough to know that his intention was to show I wasn't the only girl in his life and that if I could replace him with someone else, he sure could do the same to me. Fair enough. But he just didn't seem to understand that I never replaced him with anyone else. I just got a boyfriend and he was still my best friend to me. I still loved him.

When we met for lunch in the afternoon, he brought Zoey with him. I had expected him to come alone for our lunch together so Zoey's presence instantly pulled at the wrong nerve in my head. Even so, I didn't show it to them. We got a table together in the cafeteria and sat down with our trays.

"Who drives the Vette?" Zoey asked me. "I saw you come out of it a few times. Your boyfriend?"

I thought for a moment and answered, "A friend."

Drew stared at me disapprovingly. When I met his eyes, he scoffed and looked away. He didn't even talk to me throughout the meal. He kept turning to Zoey and saying things to her as if I was invisible to him. Finally, I decided I had had enough.

"Are you really not going to talk to me?" I asked him head-on.

Zoey looked at him, chewing her food in her mouth.

"Aren't we already talking?" He replied.

"Yeah. Nice talking to you. You've been great." I stood up and left.

For what reason, I don't know, but he followed me out of the cafeteria.

"You can't blame me!" He shouted after me.

I whirled back at him and scoffed, "If you're so afraid of getting blamed over, why don't you stop acting like an idiot!"

"Well, who started this?"

"Who started this?! Don't make me laugh. Is this because of Jay? Is this because I got a boyfriend? Well, what did you expect? That we would only have each other for the rest of our lives?!"