Chapter 22

***Loki***

I watch as Skuggad pulls his gloves on and pulls his hair back.

"Getting older." I say, noticing the white streak in his hair.

"Something that happens to all of us Brother." He says, and I bristle at the affectionate term.

"Do not call me that. You are no brother of mine." I spit, and he simply chuckles.

"Loki, we are more alike than you would like to admit. I simply had the courage to indulge my...desires. Though, I was impressed when you almost destroyed the Jotun and took the throne from Thor. Is he still as much of an idiot as he was back then?" He mocks.

"Why don't you ask him yourself." Thor says, entering the room.

"Oh, look the mighty warrior. What are you here for?" Skuggad asks, and Thor smiles.

"I am here to make sure nothing goes wrong. And if it does I have permission from Mother to make sure you do not leave this room the same as you came in." He twirls Mjolnir and Skuggad pales slightly.

"I care not. Now be quiet, I need to concentrate." He says, a golden sheet of light appearing. I ignore his technical mutterings and walk over to Claire, studying her as she sleeps. Her face is pale and thinning, with her hair spread limply over the pillows. Yet she is able to still be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Because under the pale skin a light burns like a candle refusing to go out, and the pale hair forms a halo around her head.

"You really do like this one don't you?" Skuggad says, and I snap out of staring at her.

"Yes, I do. So if you are not able to cure her or you mess something up I will not. be. happy." I say, glowering at him. He smirks and goes back to his works, studying a syringe before sticking it in her arm and emptying it.

"What is that?" Thor asks, and Skuggad pulls it back out.

"A heavy sedative. This process is going to hurt and I don't want her waking up in the middle of it. She would panic and mess everything up." He grabs an odd looking device and places it over her heart, attaching other parts to her head and fingers.

"This should pull the energy out." He says, inserting a key and turning it. A gentle whirring sound starts up, and Claire stiffens. Nothing happens, and I turn to Skuggad.
"Not working." I say, and he turns the key more, causing the noise to grow louder and and I look back to Claire. Her hands are shaking and her eyes are wide open and staring at the ceiling. Her pupils are dilated to where there is only the smallest strip of green and the rest is black.

"Her eyes are open!" I shout over the noise to Skuggad, who waves me off.

"Side effect. Anything coming out?" I shake my head, and he turns the machine on louder. Claire's arms are thrown out to the side, and her feet are pointed straight. Her entire body is stiff as a board and her eyes are facing the ceiling.

"You are going to kill her!" Thor yells over the noise, and I stare at Claire.

"Just a moment more!" Skuggad says, but I cannot hear either of them. A single tear slips out from her right eye, and then a colossal boom sends all of us flying. I crash into the wall, nearly missing the clock. Skuggad is flung thirty feet behind his desk, and is suspended midair against the wall. Thor hits the statute, and causes it to break into a million pieces.

"Loki, Claire!" Thor says, and we see her sitting up in bed, holding her hand out.

"Claire." I say running to her. I stop however, when I see her eyes.