Chapter Twenty Seven

Lienna

Loki and Odin had been debating on his release for hours now. Frigga and I sat rigid, waiting to see what Odin's decision was.

I was nervous about sending Loki in to discuss the topic because he happened to be volatile and sometimes violent when around his father, and especially when it came to the point where his love was threatened. It might've been worse, considering we hadn't seen each other for weeks because of Odin.

It was stressful, but necessary, considering that we were engaged and felt the time for a wedding coming.

Strangely, I had noticed how much I had grown and matured in my time at the palace. Though it was true that I was still young and had much of my life to live, I was more graceful, more eloquent, more intelligient.

Since I was away from Loki and Thor more often, and it was far too cold to go riding, I took to the library and the welcoming scent of books. I found that I knew very little about Asgard and its customs though I had lived here my entire life.

Frigga often joined me to tutor me and teach me some magic, unbeknownst to Loki. She said I was skilled in the details, a side of magic Loki often overlooked.

As we waited, she had me practice manifesting small images. Familiar objects and faces, and sometimes, feelings.

As I reached into the atmosphere, drawing on the energy, I tried to relax. All I would bring Frigga were bad feelings if I was stressed. There were ways to bring calm feelings even when one was upset, but I was a novice at magic and still had much to learn.

I studied Frigga's beautifully concentrated face. Slowly, her expression melted into a blissful smile. "Good!" she whispered.

I grinned to myself. There was always a feeling of pride when I managed to perfect a skill.

Suddenly the throne room doors were cast open. I stood quickly, the hairs on my neck standing on edge. Frigga followed suit, standing behind me. Out rushed Loki, who swept me up in his arms bridal style and buried his face in my neck.

"You seem to get more beautiful every time I leave," he whispered.

"Thank you," I replied. "Oh my Odin, Loki it has been far too long and stressful for my tastes."

"I could say the same. How I managed to change his mind, I don't know." He began to kiss my neck, a sign of affection he rarely used, but I enjoyed thoroughly.

Frigga cleared her throat. "Perhaps you'd want to continue in private?" she said with a laugh.

"Sorry, mother," Loki replied, slightly embarrassed, setting me down on the ground.

She winked at me as she often did. "Your affection is nothing to be ashamed of. I just don't want to ruin a moment."

I smiled. Frigga was an amazing woman.

Loki took my hand and together we walked to his room. I told him of all the magic I had been practicing, and what Frigga and I had discussed concerning a wedding.

"Rushing it is the last thing I want to do, but it's something to keep in mind," I finished.

"True, true. I don't particularly want to rush anything either, especially considering challenges we've already faced together and apart." We entered his room, where Loki retrieved a fur coat, and then we went to his balcony. The air was a bitter cold, but I didn't particularly mind, since Loki had given me his coat.

I snuggled up against him, trying to breathe in synchronization with him. It made my mind peaceful.

"Lienna, did you ever want children?" Loki asked, quite suddenly.

I pondered the question, how I would respond. This was a tough topic for me.

When I first entered womanhood, things went wrong. Svendrel sent me to multiple doctors, praying to the Goddess Freyja there was a solution. Every time, they came back, their tests all having the same result.

Svendrel didn't want me around Ander after that. He didn't want me. The maids, however, convinced him I was of worth. Svendrel told me to never speak of it around him.

My throat was tight, and tears stung my eyes. I always tried to avoid this, maybe if I didn't think about it, it wouldn't be true. I would be able to hold a baby, my baby.

The bitter reality of it was that I would never hold a child of my own, I would never give birth, I would never be able to provide Loki a child, an heir.

Hot tears rolled down my cold cheeks. I suppressed sobs, making my ribcage shake. I was hot with emotion. This was embarrassment, this was shame. I was useless as a wife.

"Lienna-" Loki began. He glanced over at me, concerned. "Lienna, what's wrong? If you don't want children..." He sounded slightly disappointed.

I cut him off. "I- I do, I really do, but..."

"Lienna, just tell me. I won't be upset."

"I..." I swallow hard. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. "I can't have children, all the doctors told me, and I know what point is there to having me as a wife if I can't give you an heir? I'm useless."

My shoulders shook, my heart ached, my mind was overheating. Suddenly I felt disgusting. I was purposeless. If I couldn't give an heir, what was the point of him marrying me?

I covered my face with my hands.

Strong hands grasped my shoulders to calm them. Gentle fingers wiped the tears away. Loving lips met mine, stopping all the rushed, pointless thoughts. One thought ruled my mind: You are okay.

His fingers trailed down my back, sending me chills. He cupped my face, and I shivered. He stroked my hair. My body curved into his. He knew all my weaknesses.

As soon as we pulled apart, his lips brushed against my ear. "If I was only marrying you so you could give me an heir, I would be a sad, sad man. You are more to me than just someone to give me an heir. You complete me. If you think you are incomplete because you cannot have a child, then let me complete you." He held me so close I could hear his heartbeat, and that was all I needed.

"You already do," I replied. "You complete me in every way."

××××××

-

-

-

-

Okay I'm getting serious Loki and Lienna feels ahahaha. Thank you guys for all the votes! Twenty votes for an update! (sorry this was late!)