33 // speechless

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
speechless
•••

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREEspeechless•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

{TW} depression

The past few days, I'd just been going with the stream. I didn't do anything crazy, like I wanted to. I wasn't really sure what to do. I just did whatever I was told, like I always did. But keeping that fake smile plastered on my face became harder every single day. I became shakier every single day. And the number of times I caught myself nearly crying kept increasing slowly.

We were now in Kentucky, and for some reason, things were hectic. We arrived late. Really late. I had to get out of the bus and straight into the meet and greets, skipping the soundcheck.

I was stuck in a tiny room filled with teenage girls who were all staring at me, some of them even crying. And they all paid like two hundred dollars to get like half a minute each because I was late.

"Hi, I love you," this one girl said the moment she got the chance. She must've been about my sister's age, and she appeared to be alone. "Shoot, I'm sorry," she said, her face a bright red. "I'm nervous."

"It's okay," I said. "What's your name?" I asked her. Something inside me wanted to stop the fake smile and the sweet voice. I wanted people to see how fucking miserable I felt, but that wouldn't be fair. They didn't pay to see a depressing piece of shit.

"May," she said.

Twenty seconds left.

"Nice to meet you, May."

She smiled and stood next to me awkwardly, posing for the picture. She flinched at the first flash and looked around like she was searching for someone.

"Are you missing someone?" I asked, but I honestly didn't really care. I just knew that talking to them would give them a better experience, so why not, right?

"My friend. We got separated," she explained, and then tears started falling. And then she took a shaky breath. She tried to talk again, but her words were swallowed up by another shaky breath, and another one, and another one. It took me a while to realize she was hyperventilating, her eyes stuck on the floor.

"Hey, it'll be okay. What's their name?"

"M- Malcolm."

I looked around to see if anyone was free to take her backstage, but no one seemed to make a move. I tried to get their attention, but everyone was either standing there like a statue or busy doing something else.

"Oakley, it's taking too long!" one of the coordinators said from the other side of the room. Right. The thirty seconds were up.

"I need a few minutes!" I yelled back. "Hey, don't cry." I tried to calm May down. I handed her a water bottle and walked her backstage as security literally just watched. Pieces of shit. The smile immediately fell off my face as I was out of sight of the horde of fans waiting in line.