Old Friends Die Hard

"Yes, Chopper. We have to go back to the base," Sabine says to my droid.

In response, the orange bot beeps, chirps, and whirls passionately as he waves two metal arms.

"Whatever he's griping about, he's right," Zeb mutters. "We did agree to stay and protect Lothal. I thought we were done with those senator types."

"Hey," I bark from behind the steering controls. "When a back-from-the-dead bartender says he needs access to a top medical facility, we help out. The rebels owe us a favor if you ask me."

"I'm confused," Zeb gruffs. "If Jho is injured, how did he pilot a ship?"

Sabine speaks up. "It's not Jho who needs the help, which is surprising for someone we thought was dead. He said it was a friend."

I begin to drop the Ghost from hyperspace. "Well, we're just here for moral support, and to ensure Jho and his friend don't run into any trouble getting the help they need."

The Ghost lands on the blacktop of the landing pad with a satisfying hiss from the hydraulics. A landing crew waves the all-clear, and I switch off the engines. The Ghost crew heads down to the loading bay as the doors slowly open. A familiar face waits at the bottom of the platform.

"Captain Syndulla, I am sorry—" Senator Organa begins before I cut him off with my hand.

"Please, I've had enough condolences."

"Kanan will always be with us," Sabine says with more grace than I could, "and I'm going to find Ezra."

Senator Organa... smiles? And laughs?

"I am sure you will, but I wasn't offering my sympathies for the Jedis' passing."

Okay, I know what I said, but that was rude.

"What's the matter with you?" Zeb shouts.

Organa's brown eyes crinkle around the edges. "It will be easier to show you."

With that, he turns and walks off towards the compound.

"Do I even want to guess?" Sabine asks.

I shrug. "Let's just see what this is about."

We follow the senator through the maze of old ruins. Some of the high traffic corridors have already been outfitted with fresh reinforcements, and the new alloy walls contrast sharply against the crumbling brick. The dark-haired man stops at the entrance to the medical bay that matches the new additions.

"You'll find your friend through the second set of doors."

I want to make a snide comment about how rude his behavior was, but Senator Organa disappears down a dark corridor.

Chopper beeps.

"Yeah, I used to like that guy, too," Sabine says without hiding the bite in her tone.

"Come on, guys," I urge. "Let's go see Jho, and celebrate his return from the grave."

Chopper wheels ahead with Zeb not far behind. The astromech pushes through the automatic doors that should hold Joe and his friend, but strangely, Chopper just stops smack-dab in the middle of the doorway.

"Hey, tin can, " Zeb barks. "Move your gears."

The Lasat kicks at Chopper's leg attachments. Then, he stops too as his gaze falls on the room.

How badly was this person injured?

"Ugh," the Mandolorian groans, "what's with you two... Oh." And she freezes, too.

"What is going on?" I ask. "Is this the wrong room?"

All at once, Zeb, Chop, and Sabine turn to face me. Tears fill Zeb's eyes, and Chopper remains completely silent.

"Wh-what's wrong?"

"You should go in, Hera," Sabine whispers with eyes wide and unfocused.

Chopper moves out of the way still bizarrely quiet, and Zeb follows.

His deep voice drops to whisper as well, "Take all the time you need."

I take a cautious step toward the doorway. "You're creeping me out, guys."

The trio acts as one to grab me by the hand, the belt, the shoulder to shove me into the room.

"Go!" They shout.

So, of course, I stumble into the room almost falling on my butt, but I manage to catch the side of the pristine white bed. The lights are bright and blinding, so I leave my head down as I blink to adjust.

"Careful there."

"Thanks, I have no idea what's gotten into..." but then hits me.

I know that voice. I know that voice better than the sounds of my own ship.

That's the voice that I woke up to in the mornings when I had nightmares from my childhood or he had nightmares from his childhood.

That's the voice that makes my heart calm and stir all at once when he checks in over the coms.

That's the voice that rescued me from the stormtroopers on Lothal.

That's his voice.

"K-" Could it be? "Kanan?"

I don't look up as I ask. I can't.

"Hera, it's me," he whispers, and this time I look up.

"Kanan!"

I don't think; I just do. I'm wrapping my arms around him. He's alive. He's here. This is real. I'm kissing him without realizing it.

"Mmm, ow," Kanan winces.

I pull back, and now I can really see.

"Oh, my goddess! Kanan! I—"

The sight brings me to tears.

Hi friends! So, I recently finished Rebels, and I just had to write this. I hope you like it!

*updated 1/13/21 for typos*