.02

SPENCER PICKED AT THE SLEEVES OF HER SWEATER

It was always so cold in airports. Always freezing. Like no matter where you were going, it was a permanent winter with bone-chilling air.

And it always smelled like hand sanitizer.

Spencer couldn't really tell the difference between the airport in Kansas or the airport in New York. Maybe she should be able to. Maybe she should've loved one more than the other or something like that, but she didn't enjoy being in either of them.

It was so cold.

It was the beginning of her last real summer, and it felt like snow was going to fall at any minute.

She wrapped herself closer in the sweater she'd been wearing since the morning. Her mom had taken her and April out for breakfast at Spencer's favorite cafe. She even let them get coffee. Coffee. Nicole never did that. She hated coffee.

By default, Spencer loved coffee. Part of her thinks it's because she always saw her dad drinking it when he visited.

She'd always steal sips when she didn't think he was looking. It was always bitter, and gross but she kept drinking. Bruce caught on. He started adding sugar and milk. Just for her. He never said anything, but Spencer knew.

People were rushing around her, as the boarded the plane. It was halfway empty when she boarded, but it still felt overwhelming the whole ride. Like it was so packed. She'd tried to glance around and see if any one else was a little nervous about the flight. No one had been.

Meanwhile, she had been practically hyperventilating. She'd been on planes before, but that was long before she learned that they could crash.

It was over now, and the thoughts of birds and their anatomical structure seemed ages ago as Spencer scanned the lobby for her dad. She couldn't see him anywhere - well, she couldn't really see anything. Everyone was moving so fast it was like blobs of colors clashing with each other, and no, Spencer did not pack her glasses in her carry on because she refused to wear-

Focus.

There were too many people. She couldn't find her dad. Maybe if she waited a minute or so, they'd clear out. But she couldn't just stand there in the meantime.

So Spencer made her decision, spun on her heel, just as she heard, "Spencer!"

Her head snapped back up. She spun around again, almost losing her balance as her eyes focused on the figure coming closer to her. It was her dad. Finally. Spencer really didn't want to hide in the bathroom like it was lunch during sixth grade.

Bruce stood there for a second, and Spencer was the one who moved for a hug. Bruce was kinda always like this. Spencer wondered if his inability to initiate hugs with his own daughter had something to do with his dad.