The Light At The End

Evan Hollen POV

"Mr. Hollen! Wait!" I heard the doctor calling after me when I reached the lobby but I was too devastated to respond.
Grief was taking control and the reality of everything was compiling like bricks in my head.

I found Jasmine still sitting in the waiting room. Susan was with her now.

"Honey?" she said when she saw me with bloodshot eyes, "You've been crying, haven't you?" Jasmine rose and pulled me into her arms where I sobbed quietly.

"Ah! Mr. Hollen, I finally caught up with you," the doctor said when he joined us.

"Doc, I'm sorry but I'll need a moment."

"Please take all the time you need. Your son would be waiting."

"Waiting? Are you trying to be funny, doctor, because if that's your sense of humor, you should consider a next profession!" Susan snapped.

"I'm sorry if I may have offended..."

"Of course you've offended us! Jevan was my grandson! You don't make fun of the dead!"

"My apologies ma'am but...."

"Leave us! You've done enough!"

~
I gathered myself once again and headed back to the VIP wing at the top floor. I met the doctor and we walked into the room.

There he was. My son. I couldn't move another muscle in my body.

I froze in place as I took him in.

"Pardon me, Mr. Hollen, but this is what I've been trying to explain to you. Your son isn't dead. He's very much alive."

"But.. But.. We received a phone call stating he had passed away."

"We thought we had lost him. We did lose him. Somehow, he came back and when we tried calling you again, we couldn't reach you or your wife nor a Miss. Blossom Wright."

"I smashed my phone against the wall and my wife and Blossom probably still got their phones on airplane mode. We were travelling to New York. After hearing the news, everyone was distraughted," I explained.

"Understood."

"So you're telling me, my son is alive?"

"He is. He received two gunshots wounds. One to the lower back but the bullet missed his spine by exactly one inch. The other tore into the left of his chest and it miraculously didn't even grazed his heart. However, he has lost a great deal of blood. He hasn't regained consciousness as yet but with my care, he's going to pull through."

"So he's alive, right, he's not dead?" I asked again to make certain I wasn't hallucinating or hearing words I wanted to hear.

"Mr. Hollen, your son is alive. His heart rate monitor is right there beeping along to the beats."

Tears of happiness took over and I ran to get my wife again.

"Jas! Jasmine! He's not dead. He's alive. Jevan is alive!"

"Oh my God! What? How?"

I couldn't utter more words. The three of us rushed to Jevan's room and the doctor explained what transpired from the time Jevan arrived at the hospital. When Jasmine couldn't stop herself from crying with happiness now, she went over and planted a kiss on Jevan's forehead.

"Baby, it's mommy. I'm right here. You gave us quite a scare but this is the best news I've ever heard. Now, you take your time and get better for us very soon. We all love you so much it's beyond words," she said to him.