18 - F R I E N D S

I followed Francis as he guided us along the same path as everyone else

I followed Francis as he guided us along the same path as everyone else. We were confronted by a tall wall lined with hard bricks that protected the school. Unlike the front of the building where tall, pointed fences threatened any intruders, the back of the school was old and ugly.

The boys were confident while throwing one another over the brick wall and laughing loudly when they fell from the height. I knew they'd done it countless times before and that it wouldn't be an obstacle to worry over.

Their arms and legs seemed to work faster than their minds, clutching onto hands and loose bricks as they hauled over with familiar ease.

I looked to Francis hesitantly. He shrugged.

"Quincy," Red called as he straddled the top of the wall. The boy sat upright and tall while the orange of his hair shimmered under the stars. He leaned down and offered a pale hand.

"I'll pull you up," he smiled.

I was reluctant to take up the offer, wanting to go back and sit in the car instead. But, when Kingsley pushed me forward with a smirk, I jumped up and allowed Red to take ahold of my hand. He gripped his slender fingers around my wrist and dragged me up.

Kingsley gave me a boost from underneath and it didn't take long before I was sitting beside Red on the tall wall. He gave me a blinding grin and I looked back to check on Francis who stumbled his way up.

The red-head swung his foot over until he was sitting with his legs dangling under us. He nudged my shoulder and pointed out. "Before we jump down, look at the view."

Easton College was built on top of a hill where below you could see the shining lights of the city centre. Cars hustled and bustled along busy roads while streetlights lined the path. A mist of grey covered the streets elegantly and it left me temporarily breathless.

We were so high and I wondered if this was what Easton boys felt like all the time. So far above everyone else around them that we were covered by a blinding mist in comparison.

Red dropped down first, his legs catching him in a crouched position.

"You're short," Kingsley commented from beside me. He let his legs dangle under us, swinging back and forth and preparing for the fall.

"I am not," I hissed under my breath.

He chuckled and jumped from the wall. The longer I looked down passed my shoes, the more I felt dizzy.

"Come on," Kingsley yelled. The sound of his voice so loud in my ears that I winced. "Jump and I'll catch you. Trust me."

And I did.

I allowed my body to fall forward, descending slowly as my hair whipped around my face. As my legs hit the ground and I stumbled forward a few paces, Kingsley captured me in his arms. Dissolving in a fit of giggles, it was easy to forget that the boy whose fingers pressed into my waist was just the ghost of somebody I once knew. It irked me how easy it was to forget.