Chapter 58

Third POV

The rest of the company had just reached the base of The Lonely Mountain.

"What is this place?" Bilbo asked, looking at the abandoned and broken city below him.

"This was once the city of Dale." Balin replied. "Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug."

Thorin looked across the city towards the sun. "The sun will soon reach midday. We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way."

"Wait!" Bilbo said. "Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we to-"

Thorin cut him off, "Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We're on our own. Come!"

After walking for some time, "Anything?" Thorin asked. "Do you see anything?"

"Nothing!" Dwalin replied.

"If the map is true, then the hidden door lies directly above us," Thorin said.

"Up here!" Bilbo called.

"You have keen eyes Master Baggins," Thorin said. He was out of breath, but a happy smile rested on his lips.

~*~

When they reached the top, Thorin said, "This must be it. The hidden door. Let all those who doubted us, rue this day!" The dwarves cheered.

"Right then," Dwalin said. "We have a key. Which means that somewhere, there is a key-hole." He began to feel around the rock wall for it.

"The last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole," Thorin said. When the sun was setting, Thorin's face fell. "Where is it?!" When they could not find it Thorin gave the order to break it down.

"Stop!" Balin yelled. "It is of no use! The door is sealed shut. It cannot be opened with brute force! There's powerful magic on it." With that, the sun had set, and the dwarves began to make their way back down the hidden staircase.

Bilbo stayed and mulled over the words. "Stand beside the gray stone when the thrush knocks. And the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole." The moon began to rise, and its light hit the stone, surrounding it in dappled gray light, shining upon the key-hole. "The last light," Bilbo breathed then shouted to the dwarves, "The key-hole! Come back! Come back! It's the light of the moon! The last moon of autumn!" Bilbo laughed in pure elation and began to search. "Where's the k- Where's the key? Where's the-" Bilbo continued to walk in circles when his foot kicked something. It bounced and as it was about to fall off the edge, a foot stomped on it. Thorin bent down to pick it up and walked towards the key-hole.

Thorin stuck the key in and turned it. Thorin placed his hands on the door and it opened. "Erebor," he whispered.