Chapter 30, Part B: The Beginning of the End

The woman was swift as she glided back towards the main house and its impressive entryway.  As quick as Elanore might be, she was not as fleet-footed as Lady Tala and could not keep her in sight once Lady Tala reached the stairs.

Edmund had warned her about the very nature of the Wolframs, but only now did she grasp how different from her they might be. 

By the time she found herself on the third floor landing Lady Tala had already disappeared beyond a small crowd of servants and ladies.   And although Elanore was not a short woman, she had to strain as she stood on her toes to catch a glimpse of the door to the Count’s quarters at the hallway’s end.

Had not a familiar head of white hair poked out from a door close by, Elanore might have joined the group in waiting.  But Mrs. Winchester’s frown drew Elanore to her chambers for a private conversation.

As they shut the door behind them, she found Edmund with them.  She noted the way he sat.  It was true that the chair was too small to hold him comfortably, for he leaned forward in the seat.   The frown on his face equaled the one her grandmother wore. 

She would have liked to smooth the lines on his face that such an expression created, but her grandmother would have scolded her for the impropriety of that act.  Instead Elanore rocked back and forth on the heels of her boots and folded her hands in front of her primly.   “What news do you have of the Lady Selva?”

“Not a word has been said of her condition,” Mrs. Winchester had taken up a seat as well.  She sighed and shook her head.  “Currently no one has been allowed entry, so no one knows what is going on.”

Elanore tried to understand why her guardian seemed troubled.  She searched for another reason that might explain the severe look her guardian wore.  “Is it the guild? Did they refuse the offer again?”

Her grandmother exhaled sharply.   “It might surprise you that they did not. They will come.” 

That news should have warranted a more positive delivery.  Yet neither of the gentleman or the mayor’s face looked pleased.

“It will be trouble,” Edmund offered grimly as he sat back in his seat.  “It is obvious that personalities will clash. Both the guildmaster and the Count have led too long and are used to having their own way. The discussion should have been more a negotiation.  And yet while Wilhelm did what was expected, the Count did not.  When the snow started to fall, he seemed to lose his patience all together.”

“It did not make for a good impression.  I suppose the lord is not used to our ways,” the mayor took off her glasses and rubbed the bridge of her nose.  “I really should have handled this differently as well.   Had he and I had more preparation, perhaps he would not have made those concessions.”

The blonde youth disagreed.  “You could not have helped the situation. His mistakes had much to do with his concern for his lady companion.”

Elanore started.  She turned her head quickly to the window, to catch the sight of snow continuing to fall at a brisker pace.  She understood then why she had shivered in the garden, why something had not felt quite right.  How blind she was to not immediately recognize that the beautiful snow she had been admiring earlier might have been induced by magic. 

Mrs. Winchester spoke in low tones, her mind still on the guildmaster and the arrangements that had been made. “Even if this was the Countess’ wishes to see the people of this town gathered here under his protection, there is no guarantee that it will be all that harmonious.   He will not have an easy time with these guild men for they may not respect how easily he yielded to their leader and take advantage of his weak judgment.”