chapter eleven

Fight For Survival

Fight For Survival

'suck it up'
-Raven Reyes

⚯͛

24th November 1994

Time had long been lost, in Raven's mind as she tapped her foot anxiously on the floor; she was vaguely aware that both Cedric and Fleur had succeeded in retrieving their eggs, but now as she heard the crowds booming roar (that was almost as loud as the dragons), she felt her leg twitch in nervousness. Viktor had gone into the enclosure - whether it was seconds or minutes ago, Raven wasn't sure - mumbled, like her ears were filled with water, she could hear Mr. Bagman commentating, "That's some nerve he's showing - and - yes, he's got the egg!"

Hand twitching anxiously, she stood up from her safe haven in the corner of the tent. She could hear the muffled voice of Mr. Bagman announcing the last champion, but he was drowned out with the overly excited cheers of the crowd; Raven couldn't help but wonder if Neveah was one of those students - was her friend even still in the audience, or had she already left - run off to make sure her brother was okay?

"Suck it up, Raven" She found herself muttering as she walked through the trees - past what seemed to be a large black dog - and into the giant enclosure.

The sight of the hundreds of students staring blankly at her would've caused her to blush if it wasn't due to the current, sticky situation she found herself in. Her grey eyes scanned the enclosure, they were large, jagged rocks and - Raven swallowed back her nerves, the Hungarian Horntail was hunched over her eggs.

The Hungarian Horntails beady, yellow eyes scanned the girl, thrashing her spiky tail threateningly at her. Raven's head swiveled back as the gate closed behind her, her stormy grey meeting the soft brown of one of the dragons keeps. The young ginger nodded encouragingly.

Raven felt herself inhale a shaky breath of fresh air, before brandishing her wand. Her footing was staggered as she walked across the rocks towards the dragon. For a silly moment, Raven thought the dragon wasn't going to do anything, as she walked closer and it just continued to watch her with its evil eyes - but then, it all happened so fast.

The dragon rose onto its hind legs and, with a menacing roar of frustration, barred its sharp fangs as a hot wave of fire came soaring at the girl. Luckily, Raven managed to duck - the fire only capturing the end strands of her dark hair - hands trembling vigorously against the rock she was hiding behind, Raven peered over the top, her cloudy eyes meeting the neon eyes of a, now very enraged, dragon.

She could vaguely hear the cheers and shouts of the audience; some cheering her on - others the dragon. Was Neveah one of those - what about Hermione? - Were the other champions watching her now, or were they all so badly injured they had been rushed away for medical assistance?

Nostrils flared with the nausea eating smell of burning, Raven gagged, using her trembling hands to pull her sleeves further over her hands, "Ms. Howendale seems to have taken refuge behind a rock - it doesn't seem very happy that her safe haven is beside its nest - it's going to attack -"