Chapter 37 : The Pirate King

THE TRIP WASN'T VERY long. Or maybe it was but I didn't realize as my head was covered with a black clothe the whole time. The stranger apologized first before putting it on.

I wasn't sure what we're riding but it was fast. Maybe a speed boat or whatever. My hands weren't tied. And the hands of the one who guided my steps are unbelievably gentle. I shook the thought, remembered they won't hesitate to shoot anybody who gets in their way.

"Where are we?"

"Shh. We're almost there. I'm sorry we had to cover your eyes. It's to protect this place." It was the stranger.

I couldn't get any clues of where we are. I'm not sure if we're in a bigger boat, I couldn't smell the ocean.

The stranger made me stop and a sound of a door opening echoed throughout. Judging from the echoes, we're in a tight space. A tunnel, then.

I gulped when the door stopped opening. Is this a good idea? This man I'm going to meet is the one who's after me, won't hesitate to kill Exene and the others just to get me.

Fear crept through me. What did I do?
Exene would realize soon I'm gone. What if he'll come after me? What if he'll find this place? They'll surely—

No. I should not think about that. More importantly, I have questions. And this man is the only one who can answer them.

The stranger removed the clothe in my head. It was hard for my eyes to adjust at first but the room became clear eventually. The room was big enough. An old round desk is at the center of the room, just three meters away from where I'm standing. And in on of the chairs around it sat a man, his back on me. He was wearing a brown coat. Despite our presence, he still remained seated and continued what he was doing. Is this Apollo?

"Father, she's here."

Napatingin ako sa lalake. Father? If this man here is Apollo, then this stranger is Davis's brother? That explains his strangely familiar features. He gave me a small smile when he caught me looking at him. And when I looked at the man on the table, he stopped doing whatever he was doing and stood up to face me.

I couldn't hide my gasp as I saw his face. He doesn't look like what I expected him to be. His long hair was tied carelessly, strands of it fell down his face. His eyes are sharp. As if you can't do anything without escaping his eyes. A scar is on the right side of face, from his brow down his cheek. As I look at him, it's like looking at an older version of Davis Black. This is his father, after all.

He gently bowed. "I apologize bringing you here. You know, our ship was destroyed—"

"What do you want from me?" I cut him off. He looked at the stranger behind me.

"That man who took you here is Laurent. And my name is Apollo. It's a pity we have to meet at a place like this."

"I said what do you want from me?" I prevented myself to shake. This is him. We're face to face.

"I was informed you had questions thats why you willingly came," he chuckled and walked to the opposite chair. He gestured his hand and motioned me to sit. I walked towards tbe chair and sat. I can't believe they aren't tying my hands or putting me to prison or anything to restrain. It's not like I'll go berserk but still why aren't they doing anything to me? What kind of ploy is this? Are tbey going to try and make me believe they aren't bad guys?

"You look tired and a bit intoxicated, but if your questions  can't wait tomorrow then you can ask me now." 

What on earth?

"What do you want from me? Did Emerich Sardon paid you to get me? Are you going to sell me to him?" My heart pounded. What am I thinking? I remembered Davis saying I am unexpectedly stubborn and that it would be hard for Apollo to catch me. Well, look where I am now.