lxxiii. glorious defeat

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
❝ 𝒈𝒍𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒕 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA IS, TO SAY THE LEAST, happy about the news that Gandalf has given the duo

As she detangles herself carefully from Gandalf's white robes, she meets eyes with Edgar once more. Gandalf separates from the pair quietly, moving out of the way to give them some time to themselves before he was to lead Vera back to the Main Hall of Helm's Deep, silently giving her the message that they needed to talk before finally stalking off with staff in hand. Vera, on the other hand, faces Edgar once more, walking closer to the man and resting her head on his shoulder tenderly as they both confront the tombstone lying in front of them. His arm slither towards her waist, wrapping around her and bringing her closer to his body as her arm wraps around his neck comfortingly. The side of their faces touch soothingly, their gazes fixated on the stone mantle in front of them, their steps just above the coffin.

Vera didn't know what had happened; she is aware that a funeral must have happened in order for the burial to commence, and while she felt rather saddened that she couldn't be there for it, she couldn't complain considering she literally saw him in her near-death state. In other words, she basically had the last interaction with Britta, in death, and in life. When putting it like that, though, Vera automatically felt horrible and she couldn't stop the guilt eating away in her stomach, threatening to glide back to her throat and resume the revolting retching session she had before coming over here. The makeshift graveyard of Rohan is farther from the rest of the stronghold, leaving them enough time to mourn privately. 

Before she could bring herself to ask Edgar, the man seemed to answer for it himself, "A few days after he was proclaimed dead by the Healing Halls, Thèoden asked me what I wanted to do with the body. You see, some soldiers are given the privilege of being buried at Edoras with their forefathers or in the Great Halls as a tribute if they have done something knowledgable and worthy. Thèoden had asked me which I would have wanted...normally, a soldier with no noble blood would just be buried here or at Edoras for their duties as tributes but I suppose my father did leave an impression here," Edgar mumbled out. 

Vera nods understandingly. "Britta told me about the Halls. He told me that my father is laying tribute there just before the battle..." Vera trails off awkwardly, not knowing how to continue before shaking her head softly, "and you chose to bury him here?"

She felt Edgar nod beside her. "Yeah, er, I've only talked to my father about it once and he always wanted to be buried next to my mother...and where he had fought to die. Lucky for him, it is both," Edgar tells Vera, motioning gently to the tombstone next to Britta's. Vera moves her head to catch sight of it, her eyes lighting up in understanding as her mood suddenly dampens more.