25

"I'm out." Dean announced as he adjusted the Nike bag on his shoulder. Malcolm looked over and gave him a nod as he nursed a glass of whisky in his hand.

"Turn the light off for the sign on your way out."

As instructed, Dean did turn the light off. The sign was no longer showing its usual bold letters that stood out in red saying, OPEN. It didn't take him no time to hop in his ride and take off.

"Man." The deep voice led to a sigh. "I'm trying to remain calm and shit."

Malcolm brought the rim of the glass up to his succulent, brown lips and said, "About what?" After gulping down the liquid, he looked over at Ryder.

Ryder shook his head while closely examining the glass he held in his hand. He wasn't a straight up whisky person-it was more of Malcolm's signature drink. However, he had some shit going on in his life.

"Hope's mom-Penney."

"She still giving you trouble?"

"Hell yeah. She thinks she can just come over when she feels like it and take my daughter.

When I ask questions about where Haven is going, I always get the same shit. You're not here with her all day, so don't ask me why I let her go with my momma." Ryder mimicked Hope as he wrinkled his nose in disgust. Malcolm couldn't help but to shake his head.

Ryder scoffed while continuing with his rant. "And check this shit out." He bumped Malcolm with his elbow to grab his attention. "Hope made her moms a key."

"Nah." Malcolm objected, not believing his friends. He knew that Ryder had problems with Hope's mom. She was always trying to take over and be the boss.

"Son, I'm deadass." Ryder spat while giving his friend a serious look. "She gave her a key and I told her to get my shit back, but she don't want to."

"So. what you gone do about it?"

"I called a locksmith two days ago. I'm getting my locks and shit changed. If Hope wants to give her moms a key, she better let her pay all of the bills."

Malcolm stayed quiet. Somehow, he ended up smothered in his own thoughts. He decided to leave the apartment for his own good. Jersey was about to drive him crazy and he didn't want that to happen, so he left. Unfortunately, him distancing himself away from her didn't make him feel better. He used his free hand to touch the side of his temple as he tried rubbing the tension away.

I messed around and fucked her again. Damn. Malcolm cursed to himself as he rotated his glass around, blocking out Ryder's rant.

Bzzz, bzzz

Malcolm looked over at the iPhone that set on the counter. He assumed it was his until he realized a baby was on the lock screen. Quickly, he scanned the phone and noticed a text from Kelli. It was Ryder's phone-definitely not his. He didn't fuck with her, at all.

Ryder grabbed his phone and unlocked it. Malcolm shook his head once again as he looked over at his friend who was too busy reading the text message.

"I thought that shit was over between you and Kelli?"

"It was over."

"Was?"

Ryder shrugged his shoulders as his thumb tapped away on the iPhone's keyboard. "I hit her up."

"Why though?" Malcolm asked with his brows bunched up in confusion.

"Look here man." Ryder looked over at his friend and said, "I don't feel like Hope appreciates the shit I do for her."