Don't Look Up

<<Delilah>>
I wake up, but I don't feel right. Something just seems off. I don't know what it is, but something just isn't right. I get dressed, do my hair, grab my backpack, and walk down to the kitchen. None of the boys are there, and neither is Ms. Nancy. This would be normal, but I would normally be hearing the boys somewhere in the house. They're always running around in the morning trying to get ready.

I go to the cabinet to get a bowl for cereal, but nothing is there. I'm really confused, but just go to the fridge to find something to eat. When I open the fridge, there's nothing there either. I hear something, so I turn around. The first thing that I see is Mr. Atkins standing across the room from me. I back up as much as possible.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, afraid.

"Didn't I teach you never to show fear? Pathetic," he says.

"You can't be here. You aren't in charge anymore. You can't control me," I say.

"Really? Is that so? How come you still see me? I had you under my control from the moment you came to my house. All you are is a pathetic, worthless, little girl that this world would be better without. Do everyone a favor and leave. I thought I made that clear the last nine years. You're just too stubborn," he hisses.

I can't respond. How does someone respond to that? I glance away, and when I look back, Mr. Atkins is running at me, about to hit me. I feel the anticipation until...

I wake up to Ms. Nancy shaking me.

"Delilah, please wake up honey. It's okay," she says.

I'm a little taken aback by where I am, and I jolt up.

"Whoa, careful. Take a moment to catch your breath."

"Um, what, um, happened?" I ask.

"I think you were having a nightmare. You seemed pretty afraid," she explains.

"Oh, um, it was nothing. Sorry if I woke you up."

"Honey, that didn't seem like nothing. You can tell me anything. You know that, right?"

I don't know how to respond. How do I know she won't try to use what I say against me later? I still don't know if I can trust her. I'm not really sure who I can trust. I mean, Ella has never done anything to wrong me, so I feel like I can trust her a little. I'm still trying to catch my breath, but it almost feels like something is crushing my chest.

"Yeah," I say. "Really, I'll be fine. I'm going to get ready now, if that's okay."

"Of course," Ms. Nancy says, then leaves the room.

I get up and start to get ready, but the feeling of my chest being crushed is still present. I gather my things for real this time, and go downstairs. Everything is normal this time, but I can't help but feel an extra presence. Before I leave for school, I make sure to look in the corner of the room, just to make sure.

As I'm walking to school with Miles, I just feel like something is off. Miles is acting like everything is fine, but I just don't feel right. It may be the fact that I'll have to tell some of my teachers that I'll be leaving early on Friday and will need the homework on Thursday, but it feels like something more. As I'm getting lost I'm my thoughts, someone pushes me.

"Hey loser, what are you thinking about?" The voice asks.

"Please, just leave me alone," I say, knowing that it's Henry.

"Or what? Are you gonna cry? Huh? Are you a baby?"

"Hey, leave her alone," Miles says. "What's wrong with you?"