2.

*Unedited*

Mia's POV

"Mia woke up", My mother's voice boomed in my head. I snuggled more into the pillows and snatched the blankets over my head.

"Mumma, five minutes more", I replied my voice muffled in pillows and blankets. I snuggled deeper into them and tried to fall back into my heaven.

But guess my wish is not granted.

"Wake up this instant, young lady or the like hell would break loose", my mother's voice raised to another level and it was not in me to ignore her threats, I know they were not empty.

With a groan, I sat up on my bed eyes still closed, and fall forward on the blanket, and snuggled more into its softness. Sleep was heaven.

"I am up", I muttered lazily so that my mom would leave me alone.

"I know how much up you were, lado," she said in an annoyed tone and I felt the blankets slip away from my grasp. I groaned.

"Now listen to me carefully," her tone made me awake and I opened my eyes and sat straight.

"Yes Mam", I stated grumpily.

"You know not to use that tone with me. I raised you better than this and today you will go help Sophie to pack and Aunt Mandira in Mehandi preparations, got me." She tapped my forehead and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Okay." I nodded defeatedly and start climbing out of the bed. Mother stared at me for another ten seconds and then made her way out of my room.

I sighed. She was not always this demanding she was the best Mom in the world. I am the one who did not meet her expectations and of society.
I always embarrass her with my social awkwardness which agitated her.

I just want to make her proud but I was nowhere near that.

I did my morning business, took a refreshing shower, and draped myself in a yellow-green Ghaghra dress.

I stared in the mirror. The dress was exquisite but I was not. My black eyes and my light brown thin hair not matched the standard of beauty. The only thing I like about myself is my light brown skin color. It hides the color of my embarrassment which was always there.

*****

Sophia was pacing in the room for thirty minutes now. We had completed her packing without so much talking.

And now she is pacing like a storm was going to come. She was so jumpy all the time whenever anybody knocks on the gate or somebody asks for something. Was it wedding gutters?

"Sophia, calm down and stop pacing," I said in a calm voice but I was anything but calm. My head was started to ache because of her restless pacing.

"I can't", she stated but stopped pacing.

"It's going to be okay. Sit down and have your lunch. You haven't eaten since morning," I tried to get her to eat something. I was here, especially for that task. Everybody was too tired to babysit Sophia, Aunt Mandira's word not mine.

"I am not hungry," she was so close to snapping at me "and how can you say that everything was going to be okay, you were not the one who was going to marry tomorrow", her tone was accusing but I ignored it. I was very much accustomed to bitch attitude. Thanks to my Bff.

"You are right, I was not the bride but you were. So, you need strength for performing the upcoming functions and rituals." I spoke in a low voice.

"You don't understand", she whined.

"I understand", I said and made her sit on the couch and put the plate in front of her. I regarded her with my cold eyes.

"Now, Sophia" she scowled but started eating. But not before muttering with an eye roll "Yes teacher". I softened my expression.

"You know about my profession",
I asked bewildered. I just got to know about her because of this wedding, I didn't expect her to know about me much.

"Of course, Mia" she replied " You don't attend many social gatherings doesn't mean we don't know about you, you were family" She stated and resumed eating.

I hummed in response. It's been a very long time since I received a remark about a family from Khuranas. After my father's sudden death no one came to ask how we were doing. Since then I stopped considering anyone family. It's just Me, my Mom, and my brother from the first 20 years.

"You missed my haldi, you know" Sophia raised an eyebrow at me.

"There was a minor problem regarding the leave issue" I replied monotonously.

"I can understand, if my boss had the way he would not give me leave for my ing," she laughed at her joke. I smiled at her.

Sophia was everything I was not. She was smart funny beautiful and confident. She knows how to stand up for herself. She even gave up the fortune of her dad's business to become a Software Engineer. She was working in a reputed company in New York. Her Dad must be proud of her.

"Mia," I came out of my trance and looked at her.

"Yes," I noticed that she had finished her food.

"Thanks for everything Mia." her gaze held warmth, then her smile turned playful "Now go to your room, I have to rest. I can't have you sneaking over me" She teased.

"Don't worry about that" I replied in the same playful tone and started taking her plate.

"Leave that I am going to the kitchen," She took the plate before I can take it.

We both made our way out of her room.

"Thank you, Sophie," I said sincerely.

She smiled and left.

*****

Mia's attire for Mehandi.

Mehandi- A paste of herb, Mehandi was applied on the hands of the bride one day before the wedding for wishing her health and prosperity

Other girls and women also apply Mehandi designs on their hands.

Haldi- Haldi is a ritual of applying a paste of turmeric, oil, and water on both bride and groom as blessings.

The sequence of the events in Indian Wedding-

Haldi
Sangeet
Mehandi
Wedding.
*****