Chapter 12 - Hayden

As soon as my eyes meet hers, I know.

I know something's wrong. She doesn't take the news the way I hoped. Well, what the fuck did I hope for?

No idea, honestly. But when I see her rushing out of the stadium, I feel like a grade-A asshole, because that's just what I am.

I don't even register the celebration going on around me—all I can do is watch her hurry out of here like it's the last place she wants to be. And I hate myself for making her feel that way, for ruining this experience for her.

"Bro!" Kill slaps my shoulder. "You crushed it!"

Coach appears right next to me, though I don't even register him when he says, "He's right. No idea what it is, but it seems like you've had a lucky charm these past games. Better hold on to it."

But I don't listen to them, I only nod and congratulate the rest of my team before I sprint back into the changing room. I get into my clothes and rush out of there, hoping I might still catch her in time. And when I get out, I do in fact see her getting into a cab, her hair flowing in the wind before the car door slams shut.

"Shit." I don't know why I'm so goddamn invested in this, but I don't want her to hate me. So I do the only thing that comes to my mind right this second and ring her number. I should've expected it to skip to voicemail, though. Why would she even pick up right now? But I don't even have a second to think about that, because there's about a dozen people running toward me, wanting to take pictures and get autographs.

"Fuck." I know Hank will kill me if I just run away from them.

I decide to get it over with as quickly as I can, signing caps and posters until I finally spot my security detail right next to me, helping me build a path to the black Audi waiting for me.

"Where to?" Jack asks after I jump into the car.

"The hotel."

As we drive off, I watch the streets pass by, hoping to hell and back that I didn't scare her off by hiding this from her. I know we're just getting to know each other, but Mila seems like a person who appreciates honesty above all.

When we finally arrive back at the entrance of the hotel, I sprint in there, slamming the elevator button, because yes, it goes faster if you do that. It seems to take forever until it arrives on my floor, and even longer to get me to hers, but I don't lose a second as soon as the doors open.

I find her hotel room and knock on the door, admittedly a little rougher than I intended to, but the adrenaline rushing through my veins makes me feel like Superman right now.

But of course, she doesn't answer, and I curse myself for not telling her sooner, again.

Think, Hayden...think.

Where would someone like her go?

Then I have a thought. It might be wrong, but it might also be right. I'll never know if I don't try, I guess. So, I get back to the elevator, repeatedly pressing the button for the rooftop terrace.

The door finally opens after a few seconds, and there she is, leaning against the rail, wearing that oversized football sweater with my own goddamn name on it as she stares out into the sunset.

The orange sky casts her appearance in an almost celestial glow, and I can't help but swallow when she turns around, almost like she knew I was here.

"Mila." I take a cautious step toward her. "Can I...can I explain?"

And the gods must be on my side today, because after she studies me for a second, like a frightened animal trying to read me, she finally nods.

"Okay, thank you. Can we sit?" I motion for the bench right next to her, and without saying much else, she shuffles to the bench, a heavy sigh leaving her throat as she sits down. I follow and take a seat next to her, but leave enough space for thought. "First, I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. I should've just said something, but I couldn't, somehow."