Chapter 160

The first thing I noticed when I started to come back to consciousness was the sound of my own slow breathing. I felt slight pain on my side, but it was tolerable.

       I had no idea where I was or what had happened at the wedding after I'd passed out. I felt too weak to even open my eyes at first. All I managed to do was to stir my fingers as I laid down on a bed.

        "Lexi?" I heard Fred whisper my name softly and at his voice, as if I was given new strength, I slowly got to open my eyes feebly.

        I saw that he was sitting at the edge of the bed, looking down at me with worry obvious in his eyes. I was in his room, back in the twins' flat.

       "H-how are you?" Fred asked in a small voice.

       "Fine," I muttered under my breath, forced to close my eyes for a few moments again before being able to open them again and speak. "What happened?"

      Before explaining, Fred took out his wand to perform a spell around his room, so George wouldn't wake up at our sound. Looking up at the clock, I saw that it was past three a.m.

       "You took a curse," he whispered. "I — I saw you bleeding on the floor — you had passed out — thankfully Moody Apparated for help and kept the Death Eaters at bay until I could get you up to the Burrow. I made the bleeding stop... but Mum healed your wounds when she came up after the battle. And then George and I got you back here."

        "Is everyone safe?" I asked, worried about those whom I didn't know of, including Moody, Sirius, and Jenna.

"Yeah." Fred nodded slowly. "But Moody took a curse too."

"What!?"

"Just his eye," he tried to reassure me. "His magical eye, mind you. But we couldn't find it anywhere after the battle ended."

I sighed in relief to myself, not only because no one was hurt, but also because it was a good thing that the Death Eaters had taken Moody's eye; seeing as it had to end up in Umbridge's hand somehow.

       "The Death Eaters took bad measures to question everyone who was left, to find out Harry's whereabouts," Fred went on. "No one said anything, obviously. Not that we knew where he had Dissaparated off to with Ron and Hermione, though."

       "Where did everyone else go?" I asked, biting my lower lip anxiously, sitting up straight and leaning my back against the bed's headboard.

     "Bill and Fleur went to a safe house just a few hours ago. The rest went to bed after we left, I guess."

     I nodded and looked down, having nothing else to say. But I frowned in confusion as I saw that I was changed out of my dress and was now wearing a silk sleeping robe that clearly wasn't mine.

     I grinned up playfully at Fred. "You weren't by any chance the one who changed me out of my dress, were you?"

     "N-no, of course not," Fred shook his head briskly, his ears turning red. "Mum did; you had bloodstains all over your dress. She healed your wounds and Fleur lended you her sleeping robe. But Mum changed it. I wouldn't — not without —"

      "I know, Fred. Relax," I laughed, cutting him off. "I'm just teasing."

     Fred gave me a look before shaking his head and glancing away again with a sigh, staring down at his feet in silence.

     "What's wrong, Freddie?" I asked crawling a bit on the bed so I was now sitting next to him. But he was still avoiding my eyes. "Hey, look at me," I put a hand gently on his cheek and turned it so he was facing me and smiled. "What is it?"

     Fred sighed again, turning on his place so we were sitting face to face. "I just — I thought I — I thought you were— you were laying there, bleeding..." he stopped in mid-sentence, burring his face in his hands with a miserable sigh. "I thought I had lost you for a minute."

     "But I'm here," I whispered softly, taking a hold of his hands and lowering them, looking into his eyes. "Everything's fine. Don't worry."

     "How can I not worry?" he huffed, trying to look away. But I gently turned his face towards me again with my fingers.

     "Like this," I whispered, leaning forward and bringing him into a kiss.

After I pulled away, I saw that the edge of his lips had now twitched up into the hint of a smile. "Is that your way of shutting me up?"

I grinned. "Exactly."

   And so I leaned in once more, this time kissing him more passionately than ever before as I flung my arms around his neck.

Fred took aback at first, but he soon melted into it as he wrapped his arms around my waist. But just as always, he soon pulled away, clearing his throat and looking away from me awkwardly.

        "Fred, is there a reason why you stop me each time I try to kiss you?" I asked him unsurely, causing him to gape at me.

       "I — wh-what?"

        I gave him a knowing look.

       "Oh, all right!" Fred said in defeat. "I've been thinking for some while, and — well... I was going to ask you if you wanted to — but then I thought you might think that I'm pressuring you — so I tried to stop myself at the kiss before it could go any further — so you wouldn't get the wrong idea... Do you know what I'm talking about?"

        "No, not really." I chuckled. "But I do believe that you might've had too much Firewhiskey at the wedding."

        Fred sighed, shaking his head at me. "What I meant was that —"

        "I know what you meant, Fred. I just don't understand why you're saying all of this," I said earnestly. "I mean... didn't it ever occur to you that maybe... I didn't want you to stop at the kiss?"

        Silence fell between us, filling up the room as Fred stared at me with an unreadable expression. "Wh-what?"

       "Well, we've been going out since I was nearly fifteen, and now that I'm of age... I really don't see a reason as to why we shouldn't... you know?"

        "Shouldn't what?" Fred said, obviously trying to hold back a grin.

        "Ugh, you know what, you git!"

        "I certainly don't," Fred said, acting oblivious. So I just laughed, taking the pillow from behind me and hitting him with it.

        "Oi!" Fred yelped as I kept laughing. "You'll regret that, Hooper!" He then came to tickle me, but I only gave him a look. "Oh, you're not ticklish... why do you I keep forgetting?"

       "Because you're an idiot." I chuckled, moving closer to him and pressing my lips against his.

        Fred soon smiled against my lips and so he wrapped his arms around me once more as the kiss deepened, but this time he pulled me forward so I was now straddling him on his lap, my arms around his neck.

      As my hands traveled through his hair, I let a soft breath escape my lips when the kiss started to become even more passionate.

   His grip tighten around me the moment I accidentally pulled on his hair. And before I knew what I was doing, I pushed him forward so he was now laying down on the bed with me on top of him.

I felt his hands grazing my back up and down against the silk robe, until they went lower and lower, making my stomach lurch excitedly.

      But the next moment, with our lips still connected, Fred made a quick motion and turned us around and then broke the kiss, hovering above me as he grinned cheekily down at me.

     "What are you doing to me, Hooper?"

      "Well, there are a fair few things on my mind..." I shrugged innocently before smiling and flinging my arms around his neck to bring him down into a deep kiss, forgetting all about the world around us.