15

Kitty's p.o.v

How to ruin a relationship in three days, an excerpt from my life, circa... the past three days. 

Day one: 

"Flight 238 SDF to BOS now boarding." Chris grabbed our bags wordlessly while I grabbed Jay. The silence that now enveloped us all the time was heavy with unsaid words, three words in particular that seemed to cause more trouble than they were worth. I don't think Chris had said more than four sentences to me since our fight last night. He wouldn't let me explain, he didn't want to talk about it around Jaylee, so I guess if we get home and he still doesn't want to talk then we can consider it a class A problem.

The flight felt much longer since sleep seemed to escape me, and Chris was obviously ignoring me something fierce. Lee would talk occasionally, but for the most part her eyes stayed glued to the movie I'd set up for her to watch on my phone. Toe taps, nail bites, shaking knees, and mindless humming later we arrived in Boston, the place that had come to feel like home, unloading as quickly as we could so we could get our bags and get out, hopefully without being noticed.

"So, we should probably either get food or go ahead and go to the store before we go home, I doubt we have anything to eat there." You'd think I would've learned I wasn't going to get answers today, but my heart still throbbed a little more when the car stayed silent. Chris stayed mute as he pulled into a drive through, the only words he spoke were to ask what we wanted and to order. My polite Chris didn't even say thank you when receiving the food, he just gave them a curt nod.

I loved how oblivious Jay could be, I wish I could be as oblivious as her sometimes. None of this seemed to be affecting her in the slightest, even though the tension that hung in the air as we ate our food was so thick you could cut it with a knife, but it definitely would have to be a sharp one. Ain't no dull knife cutting through something this thick. Chris didn't offer to help get Jaylee ready for bed like he usually did, he just watched as I lifted her into my arms and walked away. He didn't tell her good night, he just gave her a kiss on the head and a quick tuck of the covers. He wasn't Chris, he was barely even a shell of my Chris.

"You know you're hurting her, right? I understand you're mad at me, but please don't take it out on her." He stalked towards me quickly, coming to a stop only an inch before running into me completely, towering over me with a dark look in his eyes. Who is he?

"Don't tell me you understand, you could never. I'm not the one hurting Jaylee, you are." With that, he turned on his heel and walked into our room, slamming the door behind him. Well, I guess I'm not sleeping in there tonight.

Day two:

"Mommy, why daddy no talk?" I opened my mouth to answer, but was cut off by Chris' voice.

"I just don't have much to say Jay babe, your mom knows the feeling well." Shocked. That was the only emotion I could feel in that moment. This was us keeping her out of it? That passive aggressive remark was us keeping her out of it? I call bullshit.

"That is enough Christopher! If you are finally ready to talk like a big boy then let's talk, but don't you dare drag her into this when your claim to want to keep her out is the reason we haven't resolved it yet in the first place." His jaw clenched in anger, the normal clear blue of his eyes clouded with a storm.

"I haven't been talking because I don't have anything nice to say to you Katherine." I stood abruptly from the table and grabbed Jaylee.

"We're leaving."

"Like hell you are! She's my baby now too sweetheart, and I don't want you taking her anywhere." I could feel Lee stiffen in my arms at his harsh tone, and knew in that moment that something had to be done. Not for our sake, or the sake of our relationship, but for her sake. For my sweet, innocent baby who had no clue why mom and dad were at each other's throats.